Chapter 9

Light filtered through the blackout curtains in her bedroom illuminating the dust particles in the air. It took a while of tossing and turning before Ryuko finally opened her eyes. Everything felt heavy, her head groggy from tears spilled during the night. She fumbled around on her nightstand for her phone, seeing it was just past 11 on a Saturday. Sitting up in an attempt to rub away the remains of sleep, she remembered that she wasn't alone and felt just a little safer, the tension in her shoulders easing as she stretched. Gingerly stepping down onto the floor, she quietly opened the door and peeked down the hallway. There was the faint sound of snoring coming from the living room.

Ghost stepped around her ankles and made his own way to the new sound, Ryuko deciding to follow.

Somehow Kirishima was just as adorable sleeping as he was awake? He seemed to have made himself comfortable on the couch, the blanket halfway falling onto the floor, a small bit of drool pooling out the corner of his mouth. She reached down and poked him in the cheek gently, waiting to see if that was enough to wake him. Apparently it was.

He turned his head, eyes moving around behind closed eyelids and long lashes. Eventually his ruby eyes fluttered open and attempted to focus on the woman with very terrible bed head standing over him.

"Eh..? Where am I? Oh wait...ok I remember." He opened his mouth in a wide yawn, his oddly sharp teeth making themselves very visible. "Good morning," he said, attempting to hide a laugh. "I like your hair like that."

She reached down into his own hair which was equally messy but still as soft as silk. "You're one to talk." He leaned into the touch.

"Did you sleep ok?" he asked. Her face fell a bit at the question as she remembered the events of the previous night, but she tried to keep her spirits up.

"Mm, could have been better. I don't usually have a lot of dreams or nightmares, but I felt like I moved around more than normal. Was the couch alright?" With the light coming through a slit in the curtains and hitting his sleepy face, he looked like a glowing angel who happened to have bright red hair and the kind of smile other angels were envious of.

"I've slept on worse, it was fine." He pulled out his phone and looked at the time. "11...it doesn't feel that late." He sat up and stretched, Ryuko taking note of the way his muscles moved in his strong shoulders. "Do you...want me to go? I mean I don't have to work but I don't want to intrude longer than you want me to..." He looked at her with eyes that said 'I don't actually want to go but I'm being polite.'

She smiled sleepily. "No, no I don't want you to go...we can hang out all day if that's alright with you. We can grab lunch nearby – I don't have a lot here because I'm shit at cooking and there's mostly one person meals anyway – and then go from there. How does that sound?" Hearing he could stay with her seemed to erase the remainders of sleep from his face, replaced by a look of excitement.

"Yeah, I'd like that!" His enthusiasm made her smile.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Hm? Sure."

"How did you get this scar here?" She pointed up to his right eye, a faint vertical scar running from his eyebrow down his eyelid. "I finally got a look at it while you were sleeping – you are adorable when you sleep by the way – but I wanted to ask."

"You think I'm cute when I sleep...?" Kirishima could already feel the heat rising in his face. "But uh, the scar. I've had it since I was little. I did something dumb that adventurous kids like to do and...fell out of a tree. Landing on my face. Does it look bad?" he asked, cringing. He didn't really think about his scar much, but sometimes he felt self conscious about it. But she shook her head.