Chapter 11

Ryuko stood at the crosswalk right before the coffee shop. She'd been debating all morning on whether or not to walk in, and ultimately decided that it wasn't worth the possible drama or additional animosity it might cause Kirishima. She'd drink the terrible coffee at work and hopefully things would get resolved before Monday. But she still had to pass by the front of the building.

Walking at a brisk pace, she glanced up briefly into the large windows on the outside of the shop. Almost as if waiting for her, she was met with red eyes – but eyes that were the exact opposite of Kirishima's. They burned with fire rather than heartfelt passion. She looked away and kept walking.

"Soo, how are things going with Mr. Coffee?" Ochako asked, Tsu sitting down next to her.

Ryuko took a bite out of her lunch, eyes wandering around the as she thought about her answer. "Mm, really well, actually. Like, I'm surprised that nothing is screaming at me to run away. Some hiccups here and there but overall he's...he's...pretty great." She had a faraway look in her eyes, Ochako and Tsu exchanging a knowing look.

"Do you love him?" Tsu asked. The question snapped her out of whatever haze floated across her vision. Ryuko's blush was nearly the shade of the tomato on the sandwich she was eating. "Oh, you don't get embarrassed very easily...I'm right, aren't I?" Tsu asked, always straight to the point. Ochako gave Ryuko a devious look.

"Oh my gosh you are! We should have a double date!" Tsu – the person who kept her composure through all scenarios – actually turned a bit pink as Ochako grabbed for her hand.

"N-no way, it's too early to be in love with him. He's just like, super nice and thoughtful and uh hot?! And I...oh my god am I?" Her head fell like dead weight onto the table as she groaned.

"I mean, that's a good thing right?"

"I...I don't know." She let out a heavy sigh. "That's a big step forward, being emotionally open enough to say you really love another person. It's not something to say lightly. I-if I really do...I need to think about. I have to mean it if I'm going to say it."

"Well from what I remember from the party-" Tsu side-eyed her girlfriend very hard. "Heh, which isn't much...he seemed nice. If I got any bad vibes from him I'd let you know."

"Yeah, aside from working out more and getting older he seemed mostly the same from when I knew him in college. Which means he'll treat you well."

"It's not that I think he'd treat me badly...no, I know he wouldn't. It's just...sharing your life with someone else. Letting them in, getting comfortable...it's sorta scary to think about." She wasn't feeling very hungry anymore as her stomach felt tied up in knots.

"Mm...yeah. Yeah it can be, to put yourself out there like that." Ochako was still holding Tsu's hand. "But that's what trust is for, right? If you trust that he'll treat your heart like the precious glass jewel surrounded by barbed wire that I know it is, then...let him. He looked like he had strong hands." Ryuko felt her heart beat quickly inside her chest at her friend's words.

"Guys..." Tsu patted her on the arm, Ochako feeling the small prickles of tears in her own eyes.

The sun was starting to set as she walked from the office to the train station, orange light rimming the dark silhouettes of drab office buildings. She had to pass by the coffee shop on her way back, but it was closed so she wouldn't run into-

"About damn time you showed up."

She stopped walking as a voice in front of her called out. Someone was sitting against the wall of the coffee shop. As he stood up, she knew immediately who it was. Ryuko squared her shoulders and stood her ground.