The Lost Boys. Chap 14: Birthday Present

Chapter Fourteen

Birthday Present

Thursday started pretty uneventfully

I got up early and went to grab some breakfast on my own, leaving Seth still sleeping. Tiffany arrived fifteen minutes later, chatted with some friends and again headed to my table with her tray of food, to join me for breakfast.

I noticed that this got me some weird looks from people around us. It was two days in a row that Tiffany had joined me for meals. People were starting to notice me, the weird looking tomboy girl that captured Tiffany's attention.

I felt a little awkward about the spotlight being on me, but I kept on munching my breakfast and trying to hide from all those prying eyes. We talked a little – well, Tiffany did most of the talking; I wasn't much of a talker in the mornings – and then we parted ways to head for our classrooms.

I remembered that I needed some books from my locker, so I made a small detour to grab them first. On the way to the lockers, I started to pick up a few threads of conversation passing by me. At first I didn't connect the dots, but soon I began to understand that all the whispers, hushed murmurs and side glances were directed at me.

"I heard she stood up to Professor . . ."

". . . a boy's name, that's her over there . . ."

"The cheerleader squad are scared of her, nobody knows why . . ."

"She even stood up to Tiffany! She must be crazy . . ."

". . . and they are best friends now? What's the catch?"

"Who is she anyway?"

That last comment was made by a group of jocks to their captain, Bradley Finn. Seth had pointed Bradley out to me the other day, warning me to stay clear of him. Apparently, there had been a fight between them last year and Seth had left the basketball team. It was the first time I'd seen Seth so disgruntled about something. 

Bradley was a living, breathing jock stereotype: the school basketball team captain, big, dumb, massively loud, rude, pretentious and very conceited. Every quality I despised in a person. I had seen him walking round the halls before, but now Bradley had turned his face in my direction and was studying me with deep interest. I tilted my head down and continued walking to my locker, trying to draw the minimal amount of attention to myself, but people kept pointing and whispering at me all the time. I realized I was getting quite a name for myself. Fantastic. Not even one full week at school and I was already the crazy, deranged new girl. Just great!

I hurried to my locker and grabbed my books as fast as I could. The buzzing around me was starting to make me feel really uncomfortable. As I closed the locker door with a bang and turned to leave, a big heavy chest stopped me mid-turn. I stumbled backwards, startled, slamming loudly into my locker. When I looked up, I saw the smug, squarejawed face of Bradley staring down at me.