TLB. Chap 11: A Light at the end of the tunnel

Chapter Eleven

A Light at the End of the Tunnel

I watched the murky road and heavy clouds in the sky for the whole two-hour trip to school

I watched the murky road and heavy clouds in the sky for the whole two-hour trip to school. It wasn't raining any more, but everything still seemed damp and soaking wet. I felt a little queasy inside, my anxiety holding my stomach in a tight grip.

What would this new school be like?

I knew it was a highly regarded school for wealthy people, and I was kind of worried I wouldn't fit in there, wouldn't find any friends, either. That was worrying me. A lot.

I hated dealing with high-maintenance, spoiled rich brats. I hoped the school wouldn't be filled with them. What was I thinking, of course it would! And now it was too late to go back. I'd have to suck it up and endure a whole year of spoiled brats.

I was so engrossed by my grim thoughts that I didn't notice the bus had stopped. Before I could glance outside, the driver called out my name.

I lifted my hand in confusion as he made a sign for me to follow him. I grabbed my backpack and stepped off the bus with a puzzled face.

There was a huge pothole in the road, with soft red mud gushing out. A big limo had tried to pass through it and got stuck in the mud. The wheels screeched and rolled, but the car remained in the same spot, blocking the road. I turned to look at the bus driver by my side.

"Hey there, miss, " he said, taking another look at the road. "Seems we have ourselves a problem here. I've been telling people about this hole in the road for weeks and nobody did anything. Now look at it!" He pointed at the mess of mud ahead of us.

I looked at the limo and then at the bus. "The bus won't be able to pass," I stated.

"Sorry, miss." He nodded an affirmative. "But your school's just there." He pointed beyond the limo to the horizon, where I could see the big gray stone walls of Sagan Boarding School looming. It would take only a few minutes to walk there.

"Okay, then. I'll walk. Can you get my luggage, please, sir?" I asked politely, and the man nodded, relieved that I wasn't going to hold up the rest of his passengers, and went to fetch my things.

While I was waiting, a tall, blonde, Barbie-looking girl stepped out from the limo. She approached me slowly, head raised high like she owned the damn road. I eyed her suspiciously.

She was well groomed with bouncy curls, high heels and perfect posture, dressed to kill in an impeccably tailored haute couture dress and coat.

Definitely a spoiled brat. Definitely filthy rich.

She was carrying an expensive-looking purse over her slim shoulder.

"Are you heading for Sagan as well?" she asked in an imperative tone. No, she didn't ask. She demanded to know.