The Lost Boys. Chap 05: Promise

Chapter Five

Promise

I passed Sunday finally unpacking the rest of my things

I passed Sunday finally unpacking the rest of my things.  My mom had given me a deadline. It was to be done on Sunday, "Or else . . ." followed by The Look. You don't want to mess with The Look, I tell you. So I didn't dare go out and check on Tristan.

          Monday I woke up in a cheerful mood. As I munched my breakfast, Mom bounced into the kitchen with good news: I had been officially accepted at Sagan Boarding School! I still had a week to spend with my mom until after New Year's, and then I would need to start packing (again). 

           I hoped the kids wouldn't be too snobby. I hated spoiled, rude, rich people! Mom was very excited, reminding me about all the activities they had there. I wasn't listening, though; my mind kept wandering back to Tristan's face.  So I left for a morning "walk". My mom was happy that I was out of the house so much, having healthy walks and exercising. She wouldn't be so happy, though, if she knew where I was doing all the exercise.  

          I watched as the cemetery gates loomed before me, and once again I darted inside as I've been doing most days, taking the path to Tristan's mossy tomb.  I didn't need to wait for him. He was already there, sitting at the top and swinging his long legs up and down as before. Before I could greet him, he turned his handsome face in my direction and smiled his amazing bright smile to me. It made my heart flutter. 

           "Hey, Gray!" he shouted at me.

          "Hey, Tris! So, did you find my Christmas gift?" I asked in a rush, all excited. I was dying to hear what he thought of it. He jumped off the tomb with his usual ease.  

          "Yes, I did! Yesterday," he said happily. And then his face turned sad. "I feel really bad because I don't have anything to give you . . ." 

          I waved my hands at him. "That's okay, I don't mind. I just thought you'd like seeing that photo. It was kind of a lame present anyways," I mumbled, embarrassed. 

          He walked closer, his piercing silver gaze on me. I had missed his eyes.  "It wasn't 'lame', whatever that means. It was the best present ever. Thank you, Joey," he said, smiling kindly. "It was very sweet of you to think of me."

          "You're w-welcome," I stuttered, blushing. 

            "Come sit with me," he said, walking towards a stone bench a few meters away. "When did you come by to bring the photo? I didn't see you yesterday, or Saturday . . ." 

          "I came by Saturday night. It was Christmas Day so I had to come later, a little before closing time," I replied. 

          "You came at night? Weren't you afraid?" he asked, astonished.