TLB. Chap 13: Conversations, Phone Calls and Best Friends

Chapter Thirteen

Conversations, Phone Calls and Best Friends

Next day, Tiffany found me early at the breakfast table

She greeted me cheerfully and grabbed a seat in front of me. I was still finding her drastic change of attitude very unsettling. What can I say? I'm a suspicious person.

"Hey, Joey. Is that all right if I call you Joey? I have great news for you!" she said, putting her tray of food down on the table. I shrugged at her, a sort of acceptance to her news and to her nicknaming me so soon. 

"So, about your illegal co-ed living situation. All is taken care of. The school administration was a little baffled at first, but they agreed after I vehemently 'insisted' on it. Plus, they were stuck in a tight corner, since there aren't any rooms left in the girls' dormitories for you, so they had to agree. They said your mom needs to be told, sign some stuff, though. Is your mom a prude?" she asked, casually munching an apple.

I looked at Tiffany shyly, a little uncomfortable about owing her a favor like this already. "I don't think so . . . but I have never had a boy-sleeping-in-the-same-room situation before." My thoughts immediately flashed to Tristan. "So I'm not sure what she's going to say about it."

"Never had a boy wanting to sleep in your room before? That's a hard one to believe, Joey Gray. A feisty girl like you, you must have had dozens of boys lining up at your door, begging for a chance." She winked at me.

"Yeah, very funny, Tiffany," I mumbled, feeling even more uncomfortable. I kept having this nagging feeling she was somehow still making fun of me, but when I looked at her I saw only playful teasing on her face.

"Please, Joey, call me Tiff. Anyway, you're now officially authorized to stay in the boys' dorm wing. Speaking of which, where's your room-mate? I thought he'd be here with you," she said, looking around.

Oh, so she was expecting to see Seth here, huh? It was my time to mess a little with her, see how she'd react to some playful teasing. "Seth? Last time I saw him he was fighting with the snooze button of his alarm clock. Did not want to get out of bed today. Why? Did you want to see him? Does someone have a little crush on a certain blond room-mate of mine?" I wiggled my eyebrows.

She looked at me while trying to sip nonchalantly at her juice-box straw. "No, I don't. Okay, he's sort of cute, but there are plenty of cute guys around here. Look, there goes one passing by right over there. And other one over there. See? Plenty of fish in the seas around here," she said, pointing to some random guys walking near us with bored expressions. None of them looked as good as Seth, though.

"Yeah. Right," I said, getting back to eating my breakfast but not buying her lack of interest for a moment.

"I actually prefer to stay away from relationships here, you know? I have the same problem with boys as girls; they're all just fake liking me because of my money." She looked down at her tray and tried not to sound upset.