The Lost Boys. Chap 02: Gray Eyes

Chapter Two

Gray Eyes

A boy, just a few feet away

A boy, just a few feet away.  And he was beautiful.

           He was sitting on a small mossy tomb and swinging his long legs up and down distractedly, his gaze fixed on some distant point on the horizon. He clearly didn't notice me standing there, watching him.  

          He looked about my age. And did I mention he was beautiful? He had smooth black hair, the same color as mine, but styled kind of funny– it was way too tidy for my taste. He had the neatest side parting I'd ever seen on a boy.  I wondered what product he was using to keep it so slick and glossy.

          He was wearing a white shirt tucked tidily into smart black trousers. I would have thought he was dressed for a funeral were it not for the well-worn black leather jacket that gave his more formal clothes a cooler edge. He looked sad, though. Maybe he'd lost someone too, like Miss Violet, and wanted to be alone. 

          In the end I decided to approach him. At the very least, he could show me the way out. I gathered some courage and closed the distance between us, stopping right by his side, thinking my proximity would cause him to notice me, but I still had to clear my throat to get his attention. 

          He jumped, startled, looking at me for the first time with wide eyes. Only now could I see his eyes clearly, and they took me completely by surprise. He had extraordinary gray eyes! But not the sort of gray we use to describe a pale tone of blue. His eyes were really, truly gray.  As in the-absence-of-all-color gray.

          He almost looked like an old photograph. And his monochrome clothes further enhanced the lack of color of his eyes. But his gaze wasn't dull; his eyes hinted at a sharp intelligence. They glinted with the wintry sun, flaring and piercing bright. And I swear to God that, for a split second, I saw them lighting up from the inside. Or perhaps it was just a trick of the light. The whole encounter was so eerie; it caused goosebumps to rise all over my skin. 

          At that moment, I was literally lost in his eyes. He seemed so surprised that he wasn't even blinking, his gaze locked uponmine, like he was in a trance of sorts. It took me a while to feel able to produce coherent conversation again.

          "Hey. Hi, sorry, I was just . . . wondering if you could help me find my way back to the main gate? I'm a little lost," I said, still entranced by his gaze. 

          He blinked a couple of times now,like he was trying to snap himself out of his own stupor, and slowly looked around, as if to check I was really speaking to him.  There was no one else around. Of course I was speaking to him! 

          "W-what?" he stuttered. 

          I frowned. What a strange boy! Maybe I had been wrong to think his beautiful looks were matched by a sharp mind. He seemed to be having a hard time understanding what I was saying.