(21) Raising Madison

Raising Madison

Chapter 21

Preston’s POV

Everything was going fine, in fact I was having a really good time and I could tell that Madie and Brooklyn was too.  At lunch time I took them to a little diner near the park and we sat down at a booth. Brooklyn and I ordered burgers and I ordered some chicken fingers for Madie. We had just received our food and were starting to eat when Madie turned to Brooklyn with the cutest expression on her face.

“Mommy,” she said and then held out her empty cup to Brooklyn.

My breath caught in my throat and I nearly choked as her words sunk in. She called Brooklyn Mommy. I looked from Madie who obviously had no idea what she had just done, to Brooklyn who had a horrified expression on her face, probably matching my own.

‘I… I’m so sorry,” she stuttered, her eyes filling up with tears as she looked at me.

Madie looked confused.

“Mommy” she said louder this time, waving her cup in the air, obviously trying to get her attention. I had no idea what to say or do, I was speechless but strangely calm under the circumstances. I guess you should have seen that one coming, I thought to myself as I watched Madie trying to get Brooklyn’s attention.

“Help her,” I said, unable to say more, I was still in a bit of shock.

“I can’t,” Brooklyn said as the tears started running down her face.

I had no idea why she was crying but somebody had to help Madie because the cute expression on her face had changed to an angry one and I knew if I didn’t fill her cup, and soon, she was going to throw a tantrum and we really didn’t need that right now.

“Here, give to daddy,” I said, holding my hand out to her. She looked from Brooklyn to me and then handed me the cup.

“Stay with her,” I said to Brooklyn, she didn’t reply but nodded her head in agreement as I got up to go refill her cup. It didn’t take me long to return and as soon as I handed Madie her cup she started smiling again.

“I’m so sorry Preston, I… I think I should go,” Brooklyn said as she got up.

“No! I half yelled before I could stop myself. She looked a bit surprised and I felt really awkward. I had no idea what was going on.

“I mean, why? What’s wrong?” I asked, feeling like an idiot.

“Nothing, I just can’t do this anymore. I think it is better if you find another baby sitter,” she said and then walked out. Leaving me confused and wondering. I wanted to follow her but I had Madie with me and by the time I had paid the bill and got Madie and her bag gathered up Brooklyn wasn’t in sight.

Needless to say I was really worried about her. I have never seen her act like that before and to make it worse, I couldn’t find her. After driving around and looking for her for a while Madie started getting restless so I gave up and went home. Madie fell asleep as soon as I laid her down, giving me time to think about what happened. Why did Brooklyn react the way she did?  And why did she run off like that? I sighed and dug my phone out of my pocked. I found her number and pressed dial. She didn’t answer so I tried again. By the third time she had switched off her phone. What the hell is going on? I wondered, feeling both worried and angry.

There must be something horribly wrong for her to act like this but I had no idea what.

As the time when by I got more and more nervous. I had to know if she is ok but even after an hour her phone was still off. I knew she didn’t live to far away but I had no idea where so I started going through the phone book, determined to find her address, it took me a while but I eventually found it, making me feel a little better. If she doesn’t want to answer her phone I will just go to her house and find out what is going on.

Madie woke about a half an hour later and when I phoned my mom and asked her if she could watch Madie she agreed happily, sounding excited. I didn’t give her any reason why though, I just said I had some things I needed to do. She looked a bit worried as I handed Madie’s bag to her and I can’t say that I blame her after what happened the last time I asked her to watch Madie.

“I’m fine, you don’t have to worry,” I said and then rushed off, desperate to make sure that Brooklyn is ok.