(6) Raising Madison

Raising Madison

Chapter 6

Brooklyn’s POV

I woke to the sound of a clattering noise and sat upright, my heart pounding in my chest. At first I was a bit confused but my mind quickly cleared as I looked around the living room, remembering that I was still at Preston’s. The sun was shining through the drawn drapes and I started to panic. I wasn’t planning on falling asleep. I wasn’t planning on being here when he woke up. I could see that he needed some rest and decided to stay the night but to leave before he wakes. I guess that’s not an option anymore since I could clearly hear him in the kitchen.

I had no idea if he was going to be angry at me for staying and falling asleep but I had to face him and find out so I got up and made my way to the kitchen.

“Hi,” I said and he literally jumped. He took a few seconds to regain his composure as he turned around and looked at me. He had the strangest expression on his face and I couldn’t stop myself from laughing. I didn’t want to, it just kind of happened but to my surprise he shook his head and smiled at me. My body filled with relief and I walked over to him.

“What are you making?” I asked, genuinely curious.

“More like what am I trying to make,” he replied looking down at the burned bacon in the pan and this time we both laughed.

“Why don’t you take a seat and I’ll make you something,” I suggested as I took the pan from him and started cleaning it.

“No, you really don’t have to,” Preston argued but it wasn’t very convincing. I have a feeling he hasn’t eaten a proper breakfast since he moved into this place.

“I know but I’m hungry and you owe me for staying the whole night, “I replied jokingly, causing him to keep quiet and sit down.

I quickly searched through his cupboards and although there wasn’t much I managed to find the ingredients I needed to make pancakes.

As I got everything ready Madie started crying and Preston ran out of the kitchen. He returned a few minutes later with Madie in his arms and as soon as he saw the pancakes on the table a strange look crossed his face.

“It’s all done,” I said feeling a bit out of place all of a sudden.

“Thanks but I have to go, will you lock up when you’re done?” he asked, his voice cracking slightly.

“Yeah, sure,” I replied, seriously confused.

“Thanks,” he said again as he handed me a spare key and then disappeared out of the kitchen. A few seconds later I heard the sound of the front door closing and then he was gone.

Preston’s POV

The sight and the smell of the pancakes brought on a strong flow of memories. Memories of Katie, laughing and telling me that they are her favorite, memories of Katie sick and dying. My mind flooded and if I didn’t get out of there I was going to freak out and I didn’t want to, at least not in front of Brooklyn. She would want to know what’s wrong and there is no way I am confiding in her. She is Madie’s babysitter and a good one at that. I don’t want to lose her by scaring her away and I really don’t want to get to close to her. I just want somebody I can rely on to take care of Madie when I need them to, that’s it.

I took the lift down to the ground floor and then jogged to my car, started it and took off. I had no idea where I’m going but I needed to get away from everybody and everything. I wasn’t dressed properly so I couldn’t go to work and I didn’t feel up to it anyway. I know it’s not a good thing to take off so soon after starting a new job but at the moment I had to concentrate on my sanity so I just drove around for about an hour and then headed back to my apartment.

When I got there Brooklyn was gone but she had left a note on the kitchen table for me.

I left the pancakes in the fridge for you, just in case you change your mind.

Call me if you need me.

Brooklyn

I sighed and made my way into the living room where I played with Madie for a while and then phoned my boss. I don’t think he was too happy but I didn’t really care at the moment. I didn’t do much for the rest of the day and but when it was time for Madie’s nap I gave her a bottle and she fell asleep quickly and quietly. She’s been much better today s from the medicine the doctor prescribed and I felt a lot better too but at this point I was starving since I haven’t eaten anything yet.

Once I was sure Madie was fast asleep I made my way to the kitchen and slowly opened the fridge, preparing myself mentally for what I was about to do. I haven’t eaten a pancake since Katie died but I couldn’t go on like this. I had to get on with my life, if not for myself, for Madie.

I took the pancakes form the fridge and placed them in the microwave to heat up. I concentrated on my breathing while I did this and then took them out and stared at them for a few moments before sitting down and taking a bite.

They tasted delicious and although I couldn’t keep myself from crying while I ate. I enjoyed them.

I was thankful that Brooklyn made them for me but felt bad for the way I treated her so I decided to send her a message.

Thanks for the pancakes, they were great

I wrote and then pressed send.

It wasn’t much of an apology but it was all I had and I could only hope that she won’t be angry because Madie really seems to like her.