(17) Raising Madison

Raising Madison

Chapter 17

Brooklyn’s POV

Preston started acting all weird during lunch but I couldn’t figure out what was wrong. He seemed fine the whole morning and lunch was his idea.

“Are you ok?” I finally asked when I couldn’t take it anymore. I didn’t want to sound too pushy but I was starting to get worried.

Yeah, I’m fine,” he replied with a fake smile. I didn’t like it one bit.

“You’re acting all funny,” I stated, wanting him to know that I noticed. He didn’t reply.

“You said that you would let me help you, I won’t judge, I just want you and Madie to be happy,” I said, hoping that he would open up to me.

“You don’t have to worry, I’m not going to disappear again and I have been letting you help us and I really appreciate everything you are doing for us. I just thought about Katie and… ” he trailed off, my heart aching for him, he really must have loved her a lot.

“Tell me about her,” I said, hoping that I was doing the right thing and that he won’t get mad. He looked hesitant but then smiled at me.

“She was the most amazing person I’ve ever met,” he said, his eyes tearing up slightly.

“She must have been, for you to love her as much as you do,” I stated, feeling a sense of love and respect for this girl I have never met.

“She was beautiful too and completely selfless, she changed my life and I will forever be grateful for that,” Preston stated, his eyes clearing a bit.

“What do you mean by she changed your life?” I asked, unable to stop my curiosity. I really like Preston but I don’t know much about him

“I was a real asshole before I met her,” he replied, chuckling slightly.

“Ass… hole,” Maddie repeated causing both of us to laugh.

“You shouldn’t say that, it’s a bad word,” Preston said to her but it didn’t sound very convincing since he was still trying to stop himself from laughing.

We were much more careful of what we said for the rest of lunch and when we were done we headed back to Preston’s apartment.

Preston’s POV

Lunch was a bit awkward at first but as soon as I started telling Brooklyn about Katie I actually felt better. I thought I would freak out but I didn’t, it was strangely calming to let myself talk about her and I was thankful that Brooklyn asked me to.

Madie started getting fussy in the car so when we got home I put her down for her nap. Brooklyn stayed a little while longer and then left. The apartment felt empty once she was gone and I found myself wishing that she was still there. She makes everything feel so much better and easier and although I didn’t like the fact that I have come to rely on her over the last week, I couldn’t deny it.

I didn’t see Brooklyn on Sunday and I had to fight my urges to call her and ask her to come over. She has her own life I had to remind myself. I’ll call her if I need her.

At around six that night my phone rang and I could feel my heart speed up a bit when I heard her voice. I cursed myself silently again for letting her affect me and then pushed all the feeling away and concentrated on our conversation. She just wanted to make sure that I was still ok, and to find out if I needed anything. So I assured her that I was fine and that I was managing ok.

When we said goodbye I found myself feeling alone again. I really didn’t like the feeling but pushed it aside and concentrated on making myself supper. I felt a little bit better after I ate and when that was done I spent the rest of the night playing with Madie.

The next week passed by slowly but at least Madie seemed really happy and work was going good. The only problem was that I had this nagging feeling that I couldn’t get rid of. I wanted to see Brooklyn and the more I ignored it the more persistent it became.

By the time Saturday afternoon came I couldn’t take it anymore and gave in. I dialed her number and hoped she wasn’t busy.

She answered after the second ring, sounding very happy. I wondered what she was doing but stopped myself from asking. She had her own private life and just because she wants to help me and Madie doesn’t mean she wants to share it with us.

“HI, I was just wondering if you would like to come over?” I asked, only realizing what I had asked after the words were out. I didn’t ask her if she could help me with Madie, I asked her if she wanted to come over.

“Yeah sure, is Madie giving you a hard time?” she asked, still sounding chirpy.

“No she’s actually fast asleep. I could just really use some company right now,” I answered, honestly.

“OK, I’ll see you in a few,” she said and then hung up.

About twenty minutes later she arrived at my doorstep and feelings of happiness and nerves ran through my body as I opened the door and greeted her.