(14) Raising Madison

Raising Madison

Chapter 14

Brooklyn’s POV

“How about we start with getting something to eat?” I asked, hoping that he would agree. He looked horrible and from the color of his skin I could tell that he hasn’t had a decent meal in a while, probably since he left.

“Sounds good, but I think I kind of destroyed everything edible,” Preston replied as his eyes roamed over the mess he created.

“We’ll go out, there is a cute little diner not too far from here and they stay open all night,” I said.

“Ok,” he agreed and then followed me out of his apartment. He locked the door behind us and then we headed downstairs. I led him to my car and he didn’t object to me driving, but then again, he wasn’t really saying much. I could tell that he was still suffering and that it was going to be hard for him to open up to me and let me help him but I had a feeling that he was really going to try this time.

Preston’s POV

My heart was beating unevenly in my chest and all sorts of crazy thoughts were still running through my mind as I got into Brooklyn’s car. I had agreed that I would let her help me and I was going to try my damndest to get better, not only for myself but for Madie. She needs me and I need to do whatever it takes to get better.

The diner wasn’t far and in a few minutes we were being seated. The place was small but it was homey and I felt comfortable. Brooklyn smiled at me from the opposite side of our booth and started looking through the menu. A few minutes later we placed our orders and then we were left alone to wait.

“You should phone your parents, they’re really worried about you,” Brooklyn said, her voice filled with care.

“Did they contact you?” I asked, feeling really guilty for what I had done.

“Yeah, your mom phoned me,” she answered, looking at me curiously, probably trying to figure out if I was really ok or if I was going to freak out and start breaking things.

“I’ll phone her later, after I’ve cleaned my apartment,” I replied knowing that I couldn’t fetch Madie until the place was made liveable again.

“I’ll help you,” Brooklyn said with a smile and then our food arrived.

I stuffed my face and by the time I was done my stomach was aching. I haven’t eaten properly in a while and the food tasted so good that I couldn’t stop. Brooklyn didn’t mention my little breakdown again and when we were done eating she drove me home.

“You should try to get some sleep and then in the morning we’ll clean this place up,” she said, looking around the living room at the mess I had made.

“Maybe I should start now, I really want to see Madie,” I said, my heart aching to hold my little girl in my arms, I was so stupid to leave.

“No, you’re tired, you need to get some sleep. You’ll be no good for Madie in the state you are in at the moment anyway,” Brooklyn replied and I had to agree. I had to get my mind straight and make sure that I was really ok before I brought my baby home.

“Ok, I greed, not feeling able to say much more at the moment, I was feeling really tired all of a sudden and getting some sleep sounded like a good idea

“I’m glad you agree because I really didn’t feel like tying you to your bed,” Brooklyn joked and I found myself laughing. It felt good.

“I guess then I’ll see you tomorrow,” I stated, my heart dropping slightly in my chest from the idea of being alone.

“I’m not going anywhere, I’ll crash on the couch and then I’ll help you in the morning,” she said, smiling at me and a strange feeling filled me. A feeling I didn’t think I would ever feel again. It was warming me inside and I wasn’t sure if I liked it but I decided to accept it, running away or pushing my feelings aside is only going to make things worse. Brooklyn wants to help me and I need every little bit of help I can get, for my own sake and for Madie’s.

“Are you sure?” I asked, hoping for some reason that she wouldn’t change her mind.

“Yeah, now why don’t you go to bed?” she asked, still smiling.

“No way, you can have my bed, I’ll sleep on the couch,” I replied, there was no way I was going to let her sleep on the couch knowingly.

She argued with me, of course, but eventually gave in and agreed that she would sleep on my bed. It took a while but once that was sorted we said goodnight and she headed to my room while I laid down on the couch and closed my eyes. It wasn’t the most comfortable place to sleep but it was definitely better than my car and to my surprise I fell asleep fast. I must have been more tired than I thought.