(10) Raising Madison

Raising Madison

Chapter 10

Preston’s POV

The minutes passed by quickly and before I knew it Brooklyn had arrived and was happily making food in the kitchen.   I sat at the table and watched her carefully. It is the first time that she’s been here as a friend and not as Madie’s baby sitter and to honest, I was a bit nervous. Not because she wanted to be friends but because I actually like her and find myself wanting to open up to her. I’m not sure if I’m ready to do it but every time I see or talk to her I find myself wanting to. She seems like an incredibly nice girl and to add to her beautiful personality is the fact that she is really pretty with her long blonde hair and big blue eyes. It’s the first time that I’ve actually noticed a girl's looks again since I met Katie and that too scared the crap out of me. I shouldn’t be looking at her in that way. She can be my friend but I can’t allow anything more between us. I love Katie and nobody else.

“Are you ok?” Brooklyn asked, pulling me out of my thoughts and back to reality.

“Yeah, just thinking about some things,” I replied, trying to be as open as possible. I’ve been such a jerk to her lately and I really don’t want to say anything that will upset her now that we have agreed to be friends. I really want her as a friend.

”From the look on your face I’m guessing that something is bothering you,” she stated as she continued stirring something on the stove.

“There are a lot of things bothering me but how about we just concentrate on having some fun tonight?” I asked, hoping that she will agree and stop asking questions.

“Ok but if you need to talk just say the word,” she stated, smiling happily.

About an hour later the table was set and we took our seats. Madie had woken up a bit earlier and was seated in her baby chair next to me.

Brooklyn made us lasagna and it was delicious, probably the best meal I’ve tasted in a really long time. We talked a lot while we ate but Brooklyn didn’t ask me any questions again. Instead she told me about herself and how she enjoys school but at the same time she is happy that it is her final year and that she will be able to start working full time next year. She seemed really excited about the future and getting her own place.  She was very open about her life and even told me about how her parents divorced when she was young and how her mother raised her by herself.

“I really love my sister but I think it is going t be great not to have to share a bathroom with her,” she said, making me laugh. Sitting here at the table, chatting with Brooklyn felt so natural that I couldn’t help but feel happy.

When we were done eating she wanted to do the dishes but I insisted that she sit down while I do them.

“You’ve done enough by cooking me dinner, I can at least clean up,” I said as I took her plate and put it in the sink.

“Ok but can I feed Madie so long?” she asked, looking excited by the idea.

“Yeah sure,” I replied, looking at the clock. It was time for her dinner anyway.

When I was done with the dishes and Brooklyn was done feeding Madie we decided to watch a movie. I didn’t have many and most were cartoons for Madie but Brooklyn assured me that she loves cartoons so we put one on and settled before the TV. I sat on one side of the couch with Madie in the middle and Brooklyn on the other side. Madie didn’t really allow us to watch the movie but it didn’t look like Brooklyn minded. She laughed and played with Madie all through the movie. Madie passed out a few minutes before the movie ended and I put her to bed, leaving me and Brooklyn to watch the last few minutes of the movie alone.

“Can I ask you something?” Brooklyn asked, turning in her seat so that she was facing me. My insides spun and my breathing picked up. I immediately knew I wasn’t going to like her question from the serious expression on her face.

“You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to, I guess I’m just curious,” she stated, trying to reassure me.

“Ok, ask away,” I said, trying to stay calm. Why was I freaking out when I didn’t even know what she was going to ask yet?

“Where is Madie’s mom?” she asked and for a second the whole world came crashing down around me. Should I answer her? Can I answer her without freaking out? Was I ready to open up to her? I didn’t know the answer to any of these questions but I did know something. I had to decide soon because Brooklyn was watching me carefully, waiting for an answer.