chapter thirteen

Zhengting wakes up with rays of sunlight attacking his eyelids, making him scrunch themout in pain. He tries bringing up his arm to rub at his eyes, but he finds that something heavy rests on his left arm. Despite the sun shining on him, he feels way too hot all over his body to solely blame it on the sun's heat.

Zhengting dares open one of his eyes, peering at himself as he does so. It's so blurry to him, but he can make out the two pairs of legs entangled with one another, he can see a torso resting on top of his arm, and above all, he sees Cai Xukun's sleeping face resting on top of Zhengting shoulder as one of his arms wrap around Zhengting.

The image is enough for Zhengting to widen both of eyes in shock, not even being affected by the harsh rays of the sun peeking through their window anymore.

He had slept with Cai Xukun.

Sure, one can argue that Zhengting has slept with Xukun for the past few months, given the two are roommates, but this wasn't just innocent sleeping, not even innocent sleeping on the same bed. Zhengting keeps watching Xukun's sleeping figure, all the events that happened the night before rushing through Zhengting's head. He had kissed Xukun, kissed his body, touched him. This wasn't how it was supposed to happen.

He knows that they had slept with each other, but does Xukun know his true feelings? Zhengting realizes that the answer is painfully a big no, and that he'd have to still do that himself. He can't prolong this any more, therefore his only choice is to talk it out with Xukun once the younger wakes up.

Zhengting carefully removes his arm from under Xukun, observing it when he raises it up to his face. Not only is there imprinted markings from the lines of Xukun's shirt, but Zhengting grimaces once he sees the remains of dried semen on his hand. So exhausted, the two of them had completely skipped over cleaning themselves up. He doesn't want to think about the dried cum that must be in Xukun's underwear.

Zhengting starts seeing Xukun start turning his body, making Zhengting freeze up as he continues looking down at Xukun. Zhengting's fears come to life once he sees Xukun open one of his eyes slowly, blinking a couple of times as he looks at the scene before him, much like Zhengting had. He even sees the moment that Xukun remembers what the two of them did the night before, the shock, the fear, the confusion, and even bits of regret.

"Fuck," Xukun says, avoiding Zhengting's eyes, as he tries to climb over Zhengting to get out his bed. Furrowing his eyebrows, Zhengting grabs Xukun by the hips, pulling him down, back to where he was laying before. "Zhengting, what the fuck."

"We need to talk," Zhengting says, his voice hard. Xukun is still looking down, not looking at Zhengting's eyes. "Listen, I'm not sure why that happened, or how you're even feeling, but-"

"Stop," Xukun says, interrupting Zhengting. Zhengting raises his eyebrows, as he watches the boy in front of him look anxious. Zhengting remembers that face, those eyes, it was how Xukun looked on that day in the pool when he was scared of heights. No, Zhengting doesn't want to see Xukun like this ever again.

"Xukun, take some breaths," Zhengting says, his arm going to Xukun's shoulders, rubbing them encouragingly. "Everything is fine."

"Nothing is fine, Zhengting!" Xukun snaps, his voice rising in volume. Zhengting takes a deep breath himself, knowing that it's on him not to let this escalate like how it did the previous night. If they continue screaming at each other like that, they will get nowhere. Zhengting can't let himself get angry again.

"Do you regret it?" Zhengting whispers, his hand still rubbing circles on Xukun's shoulders. Xukun finally meets Zhengting's eyes, the younger biting his lip as he does so. Zhengting watches as Xukun shakes his head softly, making Zhengting sigh in relief. "Good, I don't either."