chapter nine

"So I heard something," Linong says, as casual as he can, with his head placed on his hand, and elbow to his desk. Of course, the only natural reaction from Zhengting would be to raise his eyebrows in confusion, and an indication for Linong to continue. "I hear you have a little crush on Yixing."

Wenjun starts laughing, making Zhengting's face burn up in embarrassment. Zhengting clears his throat, "Maybe. Maybe not."

"I'd argue it's the latter," Linong says, raising an eyebrow at Zhengting. Zhengting cocks his head to the side, staring at Linong, waiting for the younger to elaborate.

Is it really that hard to believe that Zhengting likes someone? Sure, Zhengting hasn't dated in a long time, but that doesn't mean it's because he hasn't shown interest in anyone. There's been plenty of people that have caught Zhengting's attention, and Yixing has just been one of those people.

"What are you trying to say?" Zhengting presses, with his eyebrows furrowed. He sees Linong sneak a glance at Wenjun, making Zhengting turn to look at Wenjun for any help in understanding what's going on.

"Nothing," Linong sing songs, turning his attention to the front of the class. Zhengting wants to press more questions to him, because this is weird even for Linong. What's Linong trying to get at?

Zhengting doesn't get to find out, unfortunately, because their lecture conveniently begins when their professor walks into the room. As the professor gives his lecture, admittedly boringly, Zhengting drowses off in his own thoughts. He likes Yixing, right?

Zhengting almost snorts to himself. To him, it's such a ridiculous question, because of course he likes Yixing. Why else would he be doing this stupid competition to get Yixing's attention with Xukun in the first place? Well, even then, that competition has silently ended, but Zhengting is still sure of his feelings towards Yixing.

Is he?

Then again, Zhengting has been feeling less excited about interacting with Yixing lately. There's just something about not having the competition component to his flirting that makes it all less exciting and bland. Zhengting doesn't get as raced up as he did before, and he sort of misses it.

Was he feeling like that only because he was fighting against Xukun? He's not completely sure. In Zhengting's defense, he had liked Yixing long before that competition started, so maybe it only helped amp up his fluttery feelings.

Class ends before he realizes, as his thoughts get interrupted by the sound of Wenjun getting up. Had he really been thinking that deeply?

"Wanna come up to my room to hang out?" Wenjun asks, looking down on Zhengting as Zhengting hurries to pack up his stuff.

Zhengting softly shakes his head. "I'm good, I need to help out at the dance studio in a bit."

Wenjun only nods his head understandingly before leaving Zhengting to gather all his stuff. In all honesty, Zhengting really did agree to help with the dance studio, but he doesn't have to go in until a few hours from now. Zhengting feels a headache coming in, and he'd rather not bother his friends by being grouchy.

Zhengting is nearing the door when he stops by the door, almost like an instinct. It's become habit of his nowadays to walk back to his dorm with Xukun, but usually it's because Xukun waits by the door for Zhengting. He's not there.

Zhengting furrows his eyebrows, looking around the class to see if Xukun has slipped by anywhere. Zhengting is sure he saw his roommate in class today, so why isn't Xukun as he usually is?

Zhengting's eyes continue searching, until he finally spots Xukun, still in his seat, in the back. As Zhengting squints to see what Xukun is doing, he realizes that Xukun is helping the girl next to him with something.