chapter ten

Zhengting is fiddling his fingers, not knowing what else to do in a situation like this. Well, what type of situation is it? Zhengting's not sure himself.

He thinks it is an odd one, as people passing by keep staring. Their staring just adds another factor to the awkwardness, Zhengting thinks, so ignores them.

"Oh, I think they're finished with our drinks," Xukun says, standing up from his seat. Zhengting nods, and watches as Xukun goes to get their drinks from the counter. Xukun looks really cozy in this environment, the warm coffee shop lights hit well on Xukun's white sweatpants, and even his ratty hoodie that probably costs more than it looks.

Ah, this situation is called hanging out. At least, that's what Xukun had suggested he and Zhengting do, while both were bored out of their minds in their room. There really isn't much to do in their room, as it is tiny, especially for a Sophomore room. Zhengting has plenty of board games, but those are really only for game night.

While they're on better terms now, Zhengting hadn't really expecting that Xukun suggest the two of them hang out alone. It's about time, Zhengting thinks, but he didn't think it'd come so soon. Zhengting was about to lose his mind not doing anything, so he didn't even think twice before agreeing. He didn't think things would be so awkward, at least at the time he was agreeing, but now as he looks down at himself fiddling his thumbs, he has started growing doubts.

Zhengting can just imagine the smirk on Linong's face, and he hates himself for giving in and letting that boy win. Linong is sneakily evil, hiding behind that sunshine of a smile.

"Coffee is really bad for you, princess," Xukun says, handing the hot drink to Zhengting. Zhengting rolls his eyes, and cups the hot cup in his hands, while blowing into the small hole at the top of the cup to cool it down. With Zhengting's sleep schedule, coffee is a necessity.

"Mind your own business," Zhengting bites back, playfully sticking his tongue out at Xukun before taking a small sip of his drink. "As if tea is any better when you're burning it."

"That was one time!" Xukun responds, exasperated. Zhengting starts laughing, knowing that the amount of times he brings it up can get annoying, but he for some reason feels the need to always bring it up anyway. "I guess I never really apologized for it, so... I'm sorry for almost burning down our dorm."

Zhengting shuts up almost immediately, taken aback by Xukun's apology, albeit very late. At loss of words, Zhengting only nods, taking a sip of his drink.

He knows how proud Xukun is, just as he is, so he knows how hard it might have been for Xukun to must up enough courage to apologize. It is admirable, Zhengting will admit, because even after all these months, Zhengting hasn't been able to do the same. Zhengting smiles to himself, thinking this is the real step to making amends with Xukun.

"Well, I'm sorry for yelling at you that day, and the days after," Zhengting says, his nervous eyes meeting Xukun's. Fortunately, Xukun doesn't look as hostile as Zhengting had thought, and instead looks as warm as the lights hanging above them.

"Apology accepted. I hope we can be on better terms from now on," Xukun says, waving around a thumbs up at Zhengting, his raised eyebrows suggesting that Zhengting agree.

Zhengting nods as well, putting down his drink, and giving Xukun a thumbs up.

He hopes they can be on better terms, too.

//

Zhengting didn't think being on better terms would mean Xukun showing up to his dance performance, being one of the louder cheers. Yet, there Xukun sits, in one of the closer seats to the stage, clapping loudly for Zhengting.