chapter three

"Yeah! That's my boy, Xukun!"

Applause fills through the lector room, especially loud applause coming from Zuo Ye, and even a forced clap from Zhengting. Applause is a silly thing, isn't it? Banging both of your hands against each other to signify some sort of congratulations towards someone is a bit odd, but everyone does it regardless.

While applause usually is a happy moment of congratulations, Zhengting never really thought that applause could hold so much meaning deep within it. In the case of Zuo Ye, he claps enthusiastically and loudly in admiration. Yixing claps softly, but the lopsided grin on his face is telling that he is proud. Zhengting? Well, he supposes that angrily forcing yourself to hit both of your hands together isn't very showing of proudness, nor happiness.

Why the clapping in the first place? Well, it starts with a contest. Their english professor thought it'd be fun to hold a contest between his students for anyone who could write the best paper. Of course, the only prize was having the top score in the entire class, but Zhengting worked hard at it. He wrote and wrote and wrote, revised like crazy, made a bunch of other people revise like crazy, and he was ultimately very proud of the end result.

This is the cliche moment where he ends up not getting the highest score, but it instead goes to his enemy. Yes, cue applause.

Despite all his hard work on the paper, once he receives his paper returned, he can understand why he got the grade that he did. Still, it's not a bad score at all, just not the highest. It does not deter Zhengting, though, because he is done comparing himself to his asshole of a roommate. Instead, he will see this as a place for growth.

Zhengting take initiative, just like his mother always taught him. (Although, this is definitely not what his mother envisioned.)

Class ends shortly after Xukun is announced as winner, but Zhengting stays put in his seat. Strangely enough, he sees Xukun waited on his seat as well. No, it not strange for students to stay behind even after class was dismissed, but it is certainly strange for a student like Xukun who is the first one out of the room. It's none of his business though.

He watches as everyone leaves the room before he stands up from his own seat, gathering his stuff and approaching Yixing.

"Yixing?" he calls, walking up to the shorter man. Yixing turns around at the call of his name, and smiles gently once he sees Zhengting.

"Hey, whatcha need?" Yixing asks him, with a softness to his voice. Zhengting always prefers one on one conversations with Yixing, not just because he gets to have alone time with his crush, but because Yixing's voice is always softer when he's speaking in a lower volume.

"I was confused by some of these points? Would you mind helping me with understanding some of these?" Zhengting asks, his eyes directing Yixing to his paper.

Yixing smiles, making his eyes form like two crescents on his face, "Of course."

Genuinely, one part of Zhengting came to Yixing professionally, as he truly was confused by some of the marks he received. The other part of Zhengting that keeps fluttering his eyes, touching Yixing's shoulder, and telling how smart he is, well, that is definitely not his professional side.

At least Yixing doesn't seem to mind, because if anything, the older man is blushing as if he's never been flirted with. Zhengting finds it hard to believe, given how attractive and smart Yixing is, but it could also be that he's never been flirted by another guy. Reasonable, Zhengting thinks, but now he knows he has to step up his game.

"Thank you so much, Yixing," Zhengting says, giving him one last flirty smile. Yixing only nods, and waves his hand at Zhengting.

"Oh Zhengting, sweetie," someone sing songs. Immediately, Zhengting's once happy mood is now turned sour. Grinding his perfectly white teeth against each other, Zhengting turns around to face his roommate.