chapter two

bounce bounce bounce

Zhengting's schedule is pretty packed, given what an angel student he is. He has learned the art of time management, balancing his classes and his clubs, but also managing his free time productively. On Wednesdays and Thursdays, between the time his last class ends and the time he has to show up for dance practice, Zhengting assigns that little hour to himself and a long, enriching novel. Zhengting takes his novel time pretty seriously. Call him a nerd, but he genuinely finds reading to be a fun passtime. (Xukun once did call him a nerd, but that's neither here nor there.)

Zhengting's novel of the week is none other than Stephen King's It, because Zhengting is always a sucker for a good horror novel. Zhengting, like many novel lovers, is a firm believer that the novel is always better than the film. He's aware that the movie has become a big hit, but that still won't convince him to watch the movie. (Justin has tried numerous times.)

bounce

Alright, Zhengting will admit, that judging from the trailers, the movie looked pretty epic. He still hasn't finished the book though, so he is yet able to make a clear judgement-

bounce

about the differences between the novel and the movie. Although, he did hear that the movie didn't even have the iconic orgy scene. Not that he wants an orgy scene between little adolescent kids, but it was an essential-

bounce

"Goddammit!" Zhengting screams, his eyes ripping away from his book and instead land on his roommate. Xukun, who stands in front of a wall on his side of his room, momentarily stops his bouncing on the wall to turn his eyes to Zhengting.

"Yes, princess? Has that time of the month finally reached?" he asks, cocking his eyebrow at Zhengting. If anything, it only makes Zhengting more furious. Zhengting is notably smart, so he knows that it is impossible to kill someone from just your stare, but oh does he try. Data inconclusive.

"Could you not do that here? I'm trying to read," Zhengting responds curtly, avoiding the question raised at him. He raises his reading glasses, as they've slipped from the bridge of his nose, and turns his attention back to his book. Xukun, not understanding that this was Zhengting's way of ending the conversation, laughs.

"I'm on my part of the room, so I can do what I want," Xukun says, with a sing songy tone. Not even seconds after does the bouncing of a ball resume, every bounce hitting Zhengting's delicate eardrums.

Zhengting growls, throwing his book to the side, and standing up from his bed. "Can you not be such an asshole?"

" Can you not be such an asshole? " Xukun mimics back, the tone in his voice mocking. For a final blow, Xukun imitates the act of pushing one's glasses up, further mocking Zhengting.

With steam possibly blowing from both of his ears, Zhengting throws his book at Xukun. It only manages to hit Xukun's leg, but nonetheless angers the younger.

"Oh, you are so going to pay for that!"

The two continue bickering, yelling at each other, but getting absolutely nowhere. Xukun this, Zhengting that. With these two, it seems all they can do around each other is scream their heads off.

Eventually, both get tired of screaming at each other, as it can be quite a draining act. At least, Zhengting thinks to himself, Xukun has stopped bouncing his ball, too angry now that he's angrily scrolling through Weibo. Unfortunately, Zhengting himself is too angry, so he can't seem to get back into his novel. His hour with his novel completely wasted.