chapter six

The light is slightly dimmed, some of the light from the curtain peeking out. Zhengting's soft, jazz music rings through his phone beside him, making the atmosphere in the room calm and comfortable. Zhengting has one leg over the other, his legs spread out comfortably, and he has a cup of tea beside his phone. Last off all, his long, slender fingers hold his novel, his eyes reading every word carefully. This is the perfect setting for his novel hour.

Something is wrong. No, it is not the volume of the jazz music, nor the position of his legs. Everything is perfect, too perfect even. Zhengting momentarily tears his eyes away from his book, confused because he is not doing this to yell at Xukun.

His eyes look to his roommate, who leisurely seems to be on his phone. Quiet. Zhengting knows that he shouldn't be like this, given that all he's wanted all this time was his peaceful novel time, but he can't help but think something is suspicious about Xukun. The younger definitely wants something, right?

No, that can't be right. Xukun isn't the type to suck up to someone just because they want something. There's been plenty of times Xukun has wanted something from Zhengting but still acted like a jerk to him.

Then perhaps Xukun is fucking with him, perhaps a new way of messing with Zhengting. It is quite an odd way, though, making Zhengting doubt it. If anything, Zhengting is happy that he is being left alone, so really even if it was that, it isn't working effectively.

"Are you dying?" Zhengting ends up blurting out, which snaps Xukun up from his phone, and looks at Zhengting wide-eyed.

"Was that directed at me or one of the novel's characters?" Xukun asks, smugly raising an eyebrow at Zhengting. "As for me, I am not dying. I'll take this as your way of showing you care for me." Xukun sends him a wink before looking back down on his phone.

Zhengting, a bit flustered, grunts and goes back to his book.

Odd.

Everything has just been so weird lately. Not only has Xukun peacefully let Zhengting read in peace, but Xukun has just been oddly nice to him. Too nice .

Just the day before, Zhengting had walked into their room with his basket of dirty clothes on his bed. Well, Zhengting would soon realize that the basket of his clothes wasn't actually dirty, but in fact already washed and folded. Odd, since Zhengting doesn't remember doing his laundry and folding it, as of recent. Unless Zhengting is started to have long amounts of time being gone from his memory, he heavily doubts he had done it himself.

It was when Xukun came into the room with his own basket of newly washed clothes that Zhengting connected the dots. He still can't explain in words the feeling that bursted in his heart, the closest being that it fluttered. Even with how speechless he was by it, he still awkwardly managed to approach Xukun once the younger had dropped his basket on his bed.

"Thank you for that," Zhengting had told him, straight faced and honest. It had surprised Xukun for a few seconds, the younger staring straight at Zhengting with a poker face. Suddenly, the younger had snapped and pulled a big smile on his face.

"No problem," he said, smiling brightly with his teeth. It made him look soft, handsome even, Zhengting will admit. "It was quite fun folding your boxers, by the way."

Zhengting felt the tips of his ears warm up as he heard Xukun, immediately grabbing at them in embarrassment. Must his roommate always tease him like that? Can Xukun ever learn to know when to keep his mouth shut?

"Don't say that," Zhengting had half grumbling, half giggling. Xukun looked so proud of himself, smirking at Zhengting.

Despite his comment, Zhengting is still grateful for Xukun's act of kindness. He definitely wasn't expecting something so generous from his roommate. He now reminds himself to do something nice back, maybe cleaning Xukun's side of the room for once. Xukun is quite a messy guy, unlike Zhengting who is neat. This obvious difference is shown just by their sides of the rooms; Zhengting's room carefully put together and neat while Xukun has his things thrown all over the room, a complete mess.