Chapter 1

"Hey, watch it!"

"Sorry!"

"Bitch."

Ignoring the insult that was just thrown at me, I continue to push my way through the crowd of people. The corners of my lips curl up into a bright smile as soon as I find myself outside. The fresh air is blowing through my long and wavy hair with a soft breeze, the sunlight so bright it is nearly blinding me.

I did it. I survived the last day of school. No more infuriating teachers and kids for the upcoming weeks. I have hated school for as long as I can remember and the stuff they try to teach us just all seems so pointless. I mean, I will not need most of it in my future.

Swinging my bag over my shoulder, I start to walk. Fortunately for me, home is not too far away from the school. I could go with the bike, but I prefer to walk. I quite enjoy walking as it helps me clear my mind. But I'm not planning on going home, not yet.

****

The waves softly hit the shore, the sunlight shining down upon my pale face and a soft, yet slightly cool breeze is blowing through my brown hair. A smile is tugging at the end of my lips as I take in and admire the view. Currently, I am sitting under a great tree at the treeline, only mere inches away from where the sand replaces the grass. The sand feels warm, soft and there is a large, beautiful lake in front of me. It is a remote lake in the wooded English countryside.

I spend most of my time in these woods and at this lake. I visit this place nearly every single day. Sometimes I even come out here when it's raining. Unlike the majority of people, I am quite fond of the rain. I love that glorious, musty aroma that lingers around after the heavens open on a hot day. Though I must admit that I, myself, prefer cooler temperatures. Also, this is a gated community, so it's really quiet out here, which I personally enjoy.

The only ones that come here aside from me is a twelve year old boy named Adam, who always seems to be collecting caterpillars out in the woods and some other kids my age. But they are loud, ill-mannered and bully and terrorize everyone on their path. Unfortunately for me, I happen to live in the same neighborhood as them, though I try my very best to avoid them as much as I possibly can.

I'm not really that social, although I try to be at times. I'm pretty shy, anxious and a little awkward, which is something that I hate about myself. Often I spend my time wishing that I had a bit more self- confidence, only to remember that I never really had any. But I try to remind myself that at least I can be alone. I don't need to constantly be surrounded by people to even be able to function.

I lean my back against the tree I am currently sitting under, running my hand through the grass. I look up at the sky, seeing a few birds fly above me. The sky is a bright blue and completely free of clouds. Sunlight is shining through the branches of the trees and the leaves, giving the forest a magical look. The sounds of the birds chirping happily reach my ears, causing me to smile to myself.

I move my gaze towards the ground and look at the little, white and purple flowers that are hidden within the field of grass all around me. This place has never failed to amaze me. It is absolutely gorgeous in every single way. I play around with a flower that I have plucked from out of the ground, savouring the silence.

My mind is starting to calm down a bit as I focus on the sounds of that of the wind rustling through the leaves and the singing of the birds. Closing my eyes, I try to block out every sound around me and for a moment it works. That is, until I hear loud voices coming from somewhere in the distance. Meaning that my moment of being alone has come to an end.

I immediately sit up straight as I recognize the voices that belong to some of the boys from the 'gang'. My palms begin to sweat a little and I gulp in fear as I see four of the boys step out onto the beach. I stand up quietly, careful not to make any noise, wanting to leave unnoticed. But it's too late. I take a quick look in their direction to see them making their way over towards me. I want to move desperately, but it is like I am glued to the spot and all I can do is watch as they come closer with every step they take.