10 » ocean depths

I can't believe we're at chapter 10, wow thank you all x

» NIALL »

"Zee?"

"Yeah?"

"My dad hasn't talked to you about my mum before, has he?"

The older merman raises his brown eyes from the soft sea bed, and back up to his best friend. "Why the sudden question?" He raises a brow in confusion.

The younger lad shrugs casually as he continues looking for the little crabs in the sand. "I just... Sometimes I wonder what she's like, you know?" He sighs, little bubbles of air escaping from his lips. "I mean, haven't you ever wondered where your parents are, or who they even are?" Niall asks carefully.

The dark haired lad's body tenses up at Niall's question, cursing profanities under his breath when the small crab pinches his finger.

"No." He simply answers. "And I don't plan to. They left me to fend for myself when I was barely five minutes into the world. I don't give two shits about them."

"I know, Z..." Niall sighs. "But.. aren't you just, like, a tiny bit curious?"

"Why should I be? Athena has shown more love to me than my biological parents could ever. I couldn't care less." Zayn swims off in the distance to look for more crabs, and Niall takes that as a sign to drop the subject about his parents. Niall knows how hard it is for Zayn. His parents left him when he was just a new born, and Athena, Zayn's foster mum, took him in.

"But do you think I should find out about my mum then?" Niall swims after Zayn to catch up with him, both lads completely forgetting about the crabs.

"If you want." Zayn murmurs, still not really paying attention to the younger lad.

"Zayn, I just.." Niall grasps Zayn's wrist, stopping him in his tracks.

"What, Niall?!" He snaps, a fiery blaze in his hazel eyes, completely catching Niall off guard.

Niall's hold on his wrist drops, and his body drifts away from Zayn's slightly, his blue eyes falling in sadness.

"I'm sorry." He mumbles meekly, head dipped low. He didn't mean to make his best friend mad.

Zayn sighs, his features softening as guilt washes over him. "No, I'm sorry, Ni. I didn't mean to snap." He runs his fingers through his dark hair. "I just... I don't like talking about my parents, that's all."

Niall nods in understanding. "Sorry I brought it up."

"Don't need to apologise." Zayn throws in a weak smile. "But yes, maybe you should try asking your dad about your mother. You deserve to know about her anyway. You're nearing 20, he can't possibly keep her a secret forever."

Niall nods in agreement. "I agree."

Zayn chuckles softly. "Just be careful approaching the subject though, we don't know if your dad's still touchy about the topic."

"I will." Niall smiles lightly. "How would I do it though?" Niall asks with a small frown. "He's barely home and always in that damn palace." He mumbles.

"Ni, shhh!" Zayn shushes his best mate, pulling him away slightly. "You can't just talk shit about the higher ups like that. What if someone heard you? You'd be thrown in the gallows."

Niall sighs. "I just wish my dad doesn't work for them, ya know." He leans in to the older merman's ear. "They're nothing but corrupted little airheaded gasbags." He whispers.

Zayn snickers, raising a fist. Niall grins, before bumping his fist with his friend's.

"Speaking about gallows," Niall says. "Do you actually know where it is?" Niall asks curiously.