Shadows

I grasped the steering wheel tightly uttering prayers in my messed up head, I wasn't legal to drive but Uncle Jamie had taught me how to. I shook in hatred. That bastard. The keys were left in the igition, what a stupid thing for my auntie to do, I turned the keys awakening the car from it's slumber. My heart pounding I looked through the window of the car.

The sunset. The sun was a goddess resting in the dark depths of an ancient sea, vibrant pinks and oranges met my eyes making me squint. The pure beauty and perfection of this scene reminded me of Luna. A tear fell down my cheek at the thought of her within such terror and danger because of me, my parents could of survived if they could of focused on unstrapping themselves...Luna would of wanted me to be strong and not give in to cruel thoughts. I wiped away the tear angerly and focused on reversing down the gravelled drive-way, I turned the front lights on.

I gasped and nearly fell of my seat.

Written in dripping red paint on the garage was...

3 hours.

"Shit." I shouted punching the dashboard.

I needed to hurry up this was clearly a warning. I upped my pace reversing down the drive-way, my breathing quickened as I reached the end of the drive-way and span myself round. It was a dark and lonely road, pitch blackness pressing in on all of the car threatening to seep in. Unnerved by the night I turned the car light on, my breaths rasping. Skeletons of trees whipped past and I thought I saw black glinting eyes amid some bushes, it was so full of silence, I used to love the silence it used to be my friend. But right now it was my enemy. An snowy owl swooped overhead, calming the anxiety rising within me, it was ghost in the dark wilderness. Beautiful. Graceful. So alive. it reminded me of my parents.

My mother used to be obsessed with every species of birds, watching every move with binoculars and sketching their feathery forms. But one bird had always held her heart.

The snowy owl.

"They are just so majestic! Look heres one now!" I remembered peering up at the night sky following my mother's outstretched index finger and would see the swooping form of this creature. "You know son, if I get reborn I will be that beautiful animal!"

I shook my head, shaking away that memory as quickly as it had come. Was that snowy owl a symbol of hope? Or simply my mother watching over me?

The countryside surrounding the road soon turned into the city, I needed to look for a place called "The grand Vault" many celebrities and rich people have their money stored there, it was positioned in an isolated place so it was the safest bank, maybe in the entire world. Guarded by muscular armed guards, CCTV everywhere you go and many watchful eyes behind desks. Plus the watchful eyes were the only people who could access with you into your vault. 

I gulped.

How the hell am I going to get into there?

I'm not even eighteen yet, I needed parental guidance, someone to be there. Well this sucks.

*****************************************************************************************************************

I pulled up in a deserted car park outside a bar, women in skimpy clothing slyly stalked out of it eying me up with hungry eyes. The air had an aroma of alcohol, cigarettes and musk, it was fragrant. Alive. I stepped out of the car and locked it, turning the key forcefully, rapidly and began to make my way arcross the street. I was wondering where in the hell this bank was, I walked past numerous shops lit up by neons or filled with many bodies. I kept walking with my hood up, frantically searching for the vault.

"Where the hell are y-"

A huge skyscraper loomed before me cutting open the sky like it were a knife, a huge banner covered the front of the building with the words "The vault" in red paint...I froze. He was evil and cunning my Uncle how the hell did he know where I was heading? Sure he knew all about the family but we never told him where our money was kept. Unless....