Finishing Crazy (19)

Light bursts through the room as I wake up.

It is as if the sunlight waited for me to wake up, because as soon as I open my eyes, a bright flash greets me, and I am temporarily blinded.

“Warren!” a yell sounds from the hall.

As my vision clears, I see a tall boy, about my age, being dragged from my room. He’s holding a flash camera in his hand that he just used to take a picture of me.

“Wait!” I yell out, wanting to see who the boy is.

“Kyra!” I hear him call back.

He runs back into the room, followed by an upset-looking nurse.

“Hello.” I say. “Who are you?”

He has short brown hair and deep eyes to match. His tall, statuesque figure is fit, and his dark complexion makes him seem mysterious.

“Don’t you remember me?” He asks, cocking an eyebrow.

The gesture makes him look impossibly handsome.

“No.” I say, confused. Where would I know him from?

“It’s me.” He says, as if that explains it all.

“Who are you?” I repeat, annoyed because “It’s me” doesn’t tell me anything.

“Warren.”

Warren. The name clicks and suddenly I know exactly who this is. He’s gotten a lot better looking, but he’s still the same Warren that I will never, and can’t ever like. The dark and handsome stranger in front of me is the boy who has pitted for me to fall for him for two years now, but won’t ever succeed- because I can see right through him.

Warren is a typical teenage boy that goes about love in all the wrong way. He doesn’t like me for who I am, in fact, he doesn’t even know who I am, really. He knows next to nothing about me. He just showers me with shallow compliments and cocky remarks, and expects me to date him.

Stupid boy.

“How could you forget me?” Warren asks.

“Easily.” I tell him. “Now get out of my room.”

Somewhere in between him coming back into my room and me remembering who he is, the nurse keeping him away from me has left. I want desperately for her to come back and take him with her.

It’s not that Warren is awful; in fact, he’s a fun guy when he doesn’t like you. But he does like me, therefore making him a pain in the-

“You don’t want me to leave. So don’t lie to me.” Warren tells me, interrupting my thoughts- and probably for the better at that.

“Yes I do. I want you to leave my room this instant.” I say firmly and quickly, not wanting to show any hesitation on my part.

“Oh, whatever. I just came to tell you that I hope you get better and go home soon.” He rolls his eyes and sits next to me. I sit up and look at him, confused.

For the first time since I woke up, I realize that I’m not in my room at home. I’m in a hospital, sitting in an oversized bed with sterile white sheets, and dressed in a blue polka-dot hospital gown. I remember my side hurting, but it’s not any more. There’s a needle stuck into my right arm with a tube connecting to a bag of a faintish-pink liquid. I wonder if it’s pain killer.

How did I get here? I ask myself, trying to think. The night before is a blur, and I find it hard to remember much of anything. I can picture someone carrying me out to a car. Someone with blonde hair and green eyes with a panicked look in them. Someone that I care about very much… Bryan.