Finishing Crazy (15)

After biking seventy miles and running ten, Bryan and I jog into the shopping plaza by my house where the ice cream shop is. He told me he wanted to go there sometime, and figured now was as good of a time as any.

“Are you sure about this?” I ask him, gasping for breath.

“What is there to be unsure about?”

“Well, I don’t know. Maybe the fact that we just went for an eighty mile route and anything we eat isn’t going to stay down for more than a half an hour?” I shoot at him sarcastically.

“Oh. Does that happen to you?” He asks innocently.

“Yes!’ I say.

“Hmm. Well, you can get a lemonade and I’ll eat ice cream by myself.” He tells me. “I don’t have a sensitive stomach like you do.”

I look at Bryan with a distasteful expression on my face.

“My stomach is not sensitive! It’s normal. And besides, I don’t expect you to understand- you’re a teenage boy. Everything you see, you eat.”

“Sexist.” He says.

“I’m not being sexist, I’m speaking the truth.” I retort.

“That isn’t even close to the truth!” He says defiantly.

“Oh really? Tell me that food and girls aren’t the two things that dominate your thoughts. I dare you.”

“Since when were girls involved with this conversation?” He asks.

“Since thirty seconds ago, when I brought it up. But you were already thinking about them before that so I guess you’ll have to answer that one yourself.” I say.

“Food and girls aren’t the two things that dominate my thoughts.” He says smiling.

“Lies. What is?” I challenge.

“Food and girl.”

“Food and girl?”

“Yes, as in girl in the singular form. As in, you.

 “And food.” I add, not missing a beat, even though I’m highly aware that I’m blushing.

“Yes,” He concedes with a sigh. “If you must know, I do think about food as well. But I think about you a whole lot more.”

I give him an amused smile.

“How sweet.” I say half-sarcastically. But the other half of me finds it a little cute.

“Oh, shut up.” He says.

“Make me.” I retort childishly.

Only a second too late do I realize the opportunity I’ve just given him. He stops walking, wraps his arms around me and pulls me close.

“Well, since you said so...” He whispers, smiling as he leans into me.

“I take it back.” I say hurriedly, even though I don’t.

Not really.

“Too late,” Bryan tells me as his lips find mine. I give into him and my hands rest just below his shoulders as he kisses me. Despite the excessive heat already outside with us, I welcome the added heat Bryan’s giving me as well. I kiss him back with verve, but when we finally break away he’s laughing at me.

“What?” I say, self-consciously wondering what I did wrong.

He doesn’t answer me.

“What?” I ask Bryan again, refusing to drop my gaze until he acknowledges my question.