Finishing Crazy(8)

Thanks to everyone reading!:) Suggestions? Feel free to leave me a comment!

Lots of love,

Rachelle

“Hey, Rachel, I can take her for a while.” I hear my Aunt Carlotta say from the living room.

“No, no, I’ve got it.” My mother assures her.

“Rachel, you’ve been in here taking care of her a lot, and you never get out anymore. Let me take care of Kyra, and you can go do something fun.” Carlotta counters.

It’s been a month since my first chemo treatment, and they’re still fighting over me.

I hear my mother sigh and argue back why she can’t, why she needs to stay here with me, how I’ve been throwing up all morning. She sounds like she’s so burdened by my vomit.

Ugh.

I hate being fought over like this. All week it’s been “Oh, let me take Kyra for you.” or, “Go have some fun.” or “You need to take a break and relax.” As if I’m that hard to take care of. Honestly, no one even needs to be home. I sleep, read, call Bryan and throw up- all by myself. My mom doesn’t have to do anything.

Aunt Carlotta never liked me much. Unlike Aunt Laura, she’s narrow minded and not really all that fun-loving. Carlotta’s filthy rich and can do and buy whatever she wants, so nothing seems to be exciting to her. She’s done it all.

“Go on, Rachel- just a couple hours.”

I always feel loved when people fight over who has to take care of me.

Not.

I roll out of my bed and onto the floor. I don’t feel too sick, so I pull on a breezy sundress and beige flats and walk down the hall and to the door. I pull the door open and the sound makes my mother and Aunt Carlotta look up towards me.

“Goodbye.” I say, walking out and shutting the door behind me.

I haven’t even taken five steps when the door opens again and Carlotta is calling out to me.

“Kyra, where do you think you’re going?” She demands. “You need to tell your mother before you leave.”

“My mother doesn’t care.” I snap, turning around and continuing to walk.

It’s true. Ever since the chemo started, I think she’s felt sorry for me. She doesn’t care where I go or when I leave, just so long as I don’t stay out too long or exert myself too much.

“Well, you shouldn’t be going out in the first place! Kyra, get back here! Where are you going?” She calls out, irritated with me.

Well, I’m irritated with her, too.

“Wherever I want to.” I retort with a sense of finality. I’m done talking to her. Now they can go relax without me there to ruin their fun.

I don’t know where I’m going, so I just keep on walking and walking until I reach the shopping plaza a block away from my house. There’s a cute little ice cream parlor there that I don’t remember seeing before, so I decide to go explore it.

When I enter, I’m overwhelmed by what I see.

Sunflowers and tiger lilies are painted everywhere. They’re covering the walls with bright yellows and subtle purples mixed in with dark browns and deep greens.  Even the table tops are in the shape of sunflowers. They’re gold and metallic, and the seats are made from the same metal in the shape of vines and thick foliage. The floor is a plan tan color, making anyone who views the room have all their attention on the walls.