Finishing Crazy(10)

Thank you to everyone reading! Your support means a lot:)

Love Always,

Rachelle

.   .   .   .   .   .

When Bryan shows up at my house to bike the next day, I’m feeling really dizzy, but I decide to suck it up and bike anyway because I really, really have to train more. My doctor has been increasing my amount of chemo and the more I get the more physically limited I am.

I pull out my bike, trying to hide the fact that the ground is spinning around me and my vision’s blurry. After I put it on its kickstand and the world takes a sudden spin, though, I am forced to clutch onto my bike for dear life and my act of not being dizzy is over.

“You’ve really got to stop biking when you feel like passing out, Kyra.” Bryan says gently, walking over to me and holding me steady. He sits me down against my garage and then takes his place next to me.

“I can’t.” I tell him. “I’ve got a race to run.”

“I know. And you’re still going to run it. But… maybe we should try and do something else today.” His words are kind and soothing.

“No. I have to train.”

Even if he just leaves and tells me to go back to bed I’ll still bike. I’ll be by myself, but he really can’t stop me. I think he knows this because he comes up with a compromise for us.

“How about we go swimming?” He asks. I’ll go change and drive us there. Then you can do some laps or something- after all, we haven’t trained for that yet.”

I only have to think about it for a few seconds. “Okay.” I say. “I’m going to go get my stuff; I’ll see you in five.”

Bryan smiles at my acceptance of his offer. “See you.” He says, hopping on his bike and turning the corner.

.   .   .   .   .

When I get into his car, I’m instantly glad we’re not biking. The dizziness is coming and going constantly and I know I’m not stable enough to stay steady while biking. Swimming will be good for me. I can take breaks whenever I need to without slowing Bryan down as much.

“You ready?” He asks when we get there.

“’Course,” I say, acting indifferent when I’m internally feeling chaotic. He seems to buy it though, because when we both get out of the car and walk to the pool our homeowner’s association has, he’s got a genuine smile on his face. Neither of us have a pool in our backyard, but this one hardly ever has anyone in it so we still have it to ourselves.

I’m setting my towel down and taking my swim cover off when a bunch of water hits me.

“Ahh!” I scream.

Bryan cracks up as I realize it was just him splashing me. Determined to get revenge, I slip into the pool next to him and push my hands out, sending an even bigger torrent of water on him.

Pretty soon we’re in a full fledged water fight and I can’t see anything in front of me. I turn my head behind me and start pushing water towards him, soaking his hair.

“Is that the best you can do?” He challenges.

I don’t say anything back because I can’t think of a good retort. I just try to splash him harder and miss miserably, which in turn, makes him laugh even more.

“Oh, shut up.” I tell him.

“As you wish,” He says.

“Really?” I tease, noting his Princess Bride quotation.