Finishing Crazy(11)

It took forever to come up with this chapter, but it's finally here!:) I'll update again soon, please comment and vote!

Stay beautiful,

Rachelle

 .   .   .   .   .   .

I sit at home in front of a gigantic dish of blueberry icebox dessert holding a single spoon.

After my mom found out about the transplant I was going to get, she ran to the store to buy cream cheese, graham crackers and blueberries so that she could make me my all-time favorite treat- a twist of sorts on blueberry pie, served ice-cold.

I’m so happy that I dig in and eat it straight out of the pan without waiting for my mom to get me a plate. I gorge myself until my mom walks in and sighs.

“If I wasn’t so happy that I get to keep my daughter, I’d ground you.” She says,motioning to my messy eating habits and laughing as she hands me a clean plate.

“Oh, I don’t need that.” I inform her. “I’m already finished.”

“You know, sometimes you drive me crazy.” She says.

I think back to how many times Bryan calls me crazy and nod my head in agreement.

“Yes, I tend to have that affect on other people as well.” I tell her.

“Like who?” She asks.

I look down because I know I’m blushing and I don’t want her involved with Bryan. At all.

“Just people at school- you wouldn’t know them.” I say quickly before looking back up again.

I can see my mother’s left eyebrow cocked in disbelief, but she doesn’t push further. After a few moments of silence, she looks up at me.

“Kyra, honey, I’m going to be out of town for a few days.” She tells me.

“You are? Why?” I ask, trying to keep accusation out of my voice. This could very well be the worst possible timing for her to leave. Why would she do it?

“I’m going on a business trip. I know this normally doesn’t happen, and my timing is really quite awful with your upcoming surgery, but I’ve got to go if I want to keep my job. I’ll have Mel check in on you once a day while I’m gone. Karrie and Lola will be going to stay at your Aunt Carlotta’s, but I know you’re not particularly fond of her-“

“Darn right I’m not.” I say, cutting her off and squashing a blueberry with my spoon.

My mother clears her throat and continues.

“Anyways, I’m leaving tomorrow and I would really love it if you didn’t exert yourself too much while I’m gone. I don’t want to have to leave because you’ve passed out and landed yourself in the hospital again.”

“Mom-“ I begin to protest, but she cuts me off.

“I already talked to Bryan and he promised me that he would see you through the surgery and make sure you’re not over working yourself.”

Good luck stopping me, Bryan, I think to myself. He really hasn’t ever succeeded before. The best he’s done is compromising biking with swimming- and I ended up nearly passing out then, too.

“I’m leaving tomorrow, and I’ll be back in two weeks.” She says. “Do you think you can manage?”  The question is serious.

“I’ll be fine.” I say. “It won’t be the first time.”

Even though she doesn’t travel a ton, I’ve still been home alone for a week or two on multiple occasions. This time should be like any other.

My mother sighs and looks at me, seeing the mass of emotions I’m feeling- anger, confusion, indifference.