Chapter eighteen: Master of Illusion

Dr. Yosano stood still. Calm and composed. She admitted she didn’t expect the possible suspect who helped them is just a follower. That means there’s still a person behind this, leading the scene and plotting schemes.

“Then who is the master of that mere follower?” she asked. But Rampo didn’t answer. She wondered why until she felt someone’s presence from afar; moreover she felt eyes staring at them.

“It’s a life-size doll.” Akiko glanced at Ranpo–thinking if he answered her question or he identified the owner of the presence.

Soon, they heard a slight sharp breath coming behind them. They turned their head and separated from each other with full alertness. Yosano-sensei didn't understand why such creatured jumped between with with aggressiveness although she didn’t imagine such hideous attacker coming towards them. Thinking maybe it was Ranpo who think of it since he mentioned a figure earlier that looked likely to what he mentioned. It was a life-size male doll with expression full of anger and desire to kill. He was facing Ranpo and not her.

“Did you think of him?” Dr. Yosano asked. Ranpo shook his head. He still looked calm and composed while staring eye to eye with the figure he's facing.

“He’s not an illusion,” he answered.

“He’s the master of illusion.”

By what he meant ‘master of illusion’, Dr. Yosano got his meaning. He’s Lawrence’s leader — thinking Lawrence is also one of the attacker’s minion who’s following his rules loyally.

“I knew it—” A familiar voice suddenly spoke behind the trees. Slowly, a black figure appeared as it continuously walk towards them. The man behind the black figure was Lawrence Huntsman. The three expected no reaction as they knew they were only faking each other.

“You two are detectives,” he added. Dr. Yosano prepared herself for an upcoming trouble while Ranpo looks like——he’s going to rely on Dr. Yosano.

“What are you talking about old man? My sister is truly a doctor!” Ranpo chuckled  mockingly.

“I already know you two aren't siblings,” Lawrence responded. Rampo know that too. The three of them know that they were only faking each other, playing with one another and waiting what will happen next.

“Oh, and to ask you—didn’t I made you believe that I am a mere follower?” he chuckled; thinking that he succeeded fooling his enemy as a mere follower and a dog to a puppet.

On the other hand, Rampo silently admitted that he was completely fooled. But he doesn't want to hurt his pride. Thinking of other words to answer, he finally opened his mouth to burn Lawrence with his words.

“I know that a mere puppet cannot be a boss. You’re his creator—” he had a point. “However, if you knew that I am the toughest detective not just in Tokyo, but also in Shibuya, Osaka, and reached the land of Hokkaido and Hiroshima—” again with his boastful attitude. Dr. Yosano rolled her eyes, as she watched the detective spreading air around the atmosphere with his boastful attitude. Does this always happen whenever he's on work?

“—the game would be boring.”

He's right. He knew that they were only faking each other with kindness. Lawrence already heard of a well-known detectives working from Armed Detective Agency. And the two person in front of him might be one of the member. Still he won't believe what his instincts told him. He wanted proof.