Chapter 64

Chapter 64 – THE LAST CHAPTER

If there was one thing that I have learned it’s that without pain, we could still know joy. The two have no direct correlation, and in the long run, I never needed to frown in order to learn how to smile. Also, time doesn’t always heal all wounds. We like to trick our minds into thinking this so that as time draws on, we can heal ourselves. Time doesn’t even really exist; we like to think it does because we like to put labels on everything. Even on the pain that runs through our veins once a loved one has passed. We call it mourning. However, it’s more like drowning, only to be awoken and drowned again.

Mr. and Mrs. Ross have made no effort to keep contact; we hadn’t had a reason to. Taylor, Josh, and I avoided contact and then it was too late. Whatever bond we had, was buried six feet underground with whatever remained of Lacey.

It was always too good to be true, not everything had ended happily. This was a side effect of death, as is almost everything else. 

It had been roughly a month and a half since Lacey’s death, Jesse was still very pregnant, Josh and Taylor were still banging and refusing to talk about it, Wendy still loved all attention she could get, and I, well I was okay. 

I mean, things could be so much better, but they weren’t.

Of course our group had met up and had fun nights, and I started feeling whole again, I was just having a hard time staying whole as the sun dipped below the horizon and the loneliness started to wrap around my leg like seaweed and pull me under. 

However, life went on as it would even if she was alive, and I had to learn how to cooperate with that. 

Taylor and I were just about ready for Uni, Josh and the lads ready to hope onto a plane and head out to the states to kick off the tour. 

The sound of the water shutting off caused me to stop scribbling my scattered thoughts into my notebook and look up. 

In seconds, Niall was standing in front me, a towel hanging lowly on his hips, his wet hair laying awry on head. 

“You okay?” He asked, dipping his hand into a container of gel, and in moments his hair was perfectly quaffed. Distracted, I tilted my head towards the side, taking in the way his hair looked better than my own.

Niall had forgotten his question, as it was one that was our usual greeting nowadays.

My pen started to draw circles over the words in the journal I had written, “You’re leaving today” 

The sound of the container being laid onto the shelf obtained the empty silence.

“As I am, we’ve already talked about this, Val”

I nodded my head, although I knew he wasn’t looking. Niall’s feet shuffled across the room, his presence being felt from behind me. As I was going to turn to listen to what he had to say, his hands wrapped across my waist, lifting me from my previous sitting position.

A squeal of surprise left my lips as I started to move in his arms, wondering what had gotten into him.

He laid my body onto the floor before shuffling to lie next to me, his leg wrapping around my body and pulling me closer. My face pressed against his bare chest, the smell of his body wash lingering onto his chest.

Niall’s hands started to inch up my thigh, lifting up his shirt that I had slept in, rubbing small circles onto my thighs. 

He buried his head into the birds nest that I hadn’t bothered to comb out as of yet, a trail of kisses being left across my forehead as I did the same across his chest.