Chapter 62

Chapter 62

~Jessie's Point Of View~

 Jake was seated into my lap, his eyes curiously glancing over my tear stricken face, "What's wrong mommy?"

I forced myself to draw a smile across my lips, my insides feeling nothing but bitter. How was I supposed to explain to him that Lacey was no longer with us?

The pain that I had felt after Niall's phone call was unbelievable. I hadn't known Lacey for long, but coming from a Mom myself, losing your child is probably the hardest thing anyone in the world would have to face.

A strong wind blew my hair around my face, the crisp evening air causing me to hold Jake tighter towards me. We should be sat inside given how chilly it was but it made me feel something. It was better than feeling numb.

I bought my face closer to Jake's ear, "Do you see that star right about there?" I asked pointing towards the star that seemed to shine the absolute brightest out of the light dust of stars scattered through the night.

Jake nodded his head, understanding that I didn't carry happy news with me. I assumed her understood from my actions lately, or maybe it was my tone of voice.

"That right there, buddy, is Lacey. Look at her, shining down at you, almost as if she is protecting you."

Jake had turned his face so our eyes could make contact. His eyebrows scrunched onto his forehead as his bottom lip tugged into a frown, "But mommy that can't be right. You told me that only people who die become stars, and Lacey can't be dead because you and Valerie promised that we would see each other again."

Tears brimmed my eyes at his lack of understanding towards the whole ordeal, my heart hammering against my ribcage.

I can't possibly break his heart by telling him that his best friend is no longer with us.

"But sometimes p-promises can't be fulfilled because plans changed, right? You understand that don't you?" I asked, my voice sounding desperate.

Tears rolled down my cheeks as I held Jake tightly in my arms, hoping her would understand.

"No mommy, I don't understand. Is Lacey gone? That can't be true you promised we would se each other again and she was getting better."

I shook my head slightly, taking in the way he spoke to me. The words had left his mouth quickly, and he sounded nothing but confused.

However I don't blame him at all.

"I'm sorry Jake but Lacey passed away a couple of days ago." My words had come out soft as trying to beat around the bush wasn't working. I rubbed small circles into his back; he deserved to know the truth.

Even though Jake was so young and didn't fully grasp the idea of death, he understood most of it. I wasn't the type of parent who keeps things from their child, the sooner he knew, the better it was.

Moments of silence had passed before I noticed how his shoulders were slumped.

Tears welled in his eyes as he shook his head, causing my heart to literally break, "You promised mommy."

"I know sweetheart. Everything will be okay, she was too good for this world, and she deserved to be in a better place. Don't you think so? This way she will never grow old, just like Peter Pan."

Jake nodded his head slightly as he laid his head onto my chest. His breathing had been erratic as small tears slid down his cheeks.

"It isn't fair."

I tucked his head under my chin and nodded my head as well, "Not many things are."

*

~Valerie's Point Of View~