{twenty-two}

"Maya! Come on!"

I groaned and opened my eyes. As they adjusted to the light, I looked at my clock. Late. Late, late, late.

I threw the covers off of me and shivered as I raced to the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face. I half-dried my face on a soft towel before sprinting back to my room and throwing open my closet door.

Deciding I didn't have time to put together anything complicated, I tugged on some boyfriend jeans and a white V-neck top. I pulled on some nude sandals before throwing my hair into a high ponytail and grabbing my phone, backpack, and car keys.

I jogged down the stairs and shouted a goodbye to my dad. Noah was already in the car when I got outside. Goosebumps rose on my arms and I regretted not bringing a jacket, but it was too late.

"Sorry," I mumbled as I shut the driver side door behind me.

"I'm going to be late," Noah whined.

"No, you won't," I countered, hoping I would be right.

"I have a test first period, and if I get a zero for being late, it's on you."

I didn't answer and just focused on driving the familiar route to South Crest. When we got there, some students were still milling around and I breathed a sigh of relief. I pulled into a parking space and grabbed my things, and Noah and I walked up together.

I pulled the door open gave Noah a quick 'I told you so' before heading up the stairs to my locker. I put in the combination and opened it, getting my books for English. Shutting my locker, I made my way down to the end of the hallway, where the classroom was. I entered and sat next to Amber.

"Hey, M," she smiled. "I feel like I haven't seen you in forever."

"You're right, we need to hang out. Come home with me after school today? I have something important to tell you, too," I said, referring to my panic attacks.

"Okay, remind me to tell Luke," she agreed. "He gave me a ride this morning." There was a pink stain appearing on her cheeks.

"I take it things have been going well between you two?" I hinted with a grin.

"It's only been a few weeks, but I really like him, you know? He's so sweet and it's just nice to be around him. Anyway, what about you and--"

As if on cue, Carson entered the room.

Of course you automatically assume that she's talking about Carson.

"Speak of the devil," I whispered.

Carson made his way over to sit on my other side. "You ladies whispering about me?"

I turned around to face Carson. "No." Carson raised his eyebrows, but his smirk stayed on his lips. I couldn't help but look at them for a fraction of a second too long and he noticed. His smirk widened and his eyes seemed to twinkle with amusement.

"What's up, Angel?" he asked.

I sighed. "Nothing," I mumbled. It turned out that panic attacks really drained me more than I remembered. "I'm so tired," I whined, yawning shortly after.

"Hey, I wanted to ask you something. Come outside with me for a minute?" he asked.

I nodded, unsure of what he was about to say, but I followed him out the door.

"What's up?"

"Well," he started. "My par-- I mean Clark and Faith are having some snooty event to celebrate recent success of their company. Usually I struggle through it, or just skip it altogether. This one's a big deal though, and they're making me go. But I was thinking it would be a little more bearable if you came."

Oh my God. What is happening.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't fangirling like a crazy person on the inside, but I kept myself collected as I accepted. "Sure, I'd love to. When is it?"

"Next Saturday. I'll pick you up at six?"

I smiled at him and we headed back into the classroom just in time to hear Ms. Warner starting the lesson.

* * * * * *

I sat down with Amber at lunch, and she immediately asked me, "What happened in the hallway?"

I explained that Carson was taking me to a rich people party, and after some awwwing, she asked what I was going to wear.

"Not sure yet. Help me decide after school. I still can't believe I agreed," I groaned.

She laughed. "Quit pretending that you hate it."

"Yeah, sometimes I almost forget I like that jerk."

Amber smiled. "You should gush about him to me," she suggested, and I knew she was craving details.

"Come on," I refused.

"Just do it, maybe talking it out will help you clear your head."

"Fine, but not here." I checked my phone. "We have thirty-five minutes left before we have to get to class. Library?"

She nodded and we gathered our things and our food before leaving the cafeteria. We walked in a comfortable silence until we reached the library double doors and headed inside. The concept of the library was wide open, so I saw immediately that there were only two people studying at a table in the corner.

We headed to the opposite corner, which had a perfect view of the entire space so we knew when someone was coming.

"Okay, tell me," Amber ordered, not wasting any time.

"I don't even know where to start," I replied.

"Okay, how about his eyes?"

An image of green eyes appeared in my mind, the eyes that I had so distinctly associated with Carson. "His eyes are green, mostly. But there's also some blue in them sometimes when he's happy, and they turn brownish green when he's confused or angry. I've also seen them turn dark green, but I'm not sure why."

"I have an idea of why," Amber muttered, but when I questioned her, she acted innocent and I let it go.

"What else? Has he done anything that you remember, I guess?"

I thought for a moment. "Sometimes he gets kinda close and, like... I just forget how to be a human. I can't breathe or think, and I definitely can't talk."

Amber squealed. "He gets close? And you--oh my God," she said excitedly, eyes twinkling.

"We have a lot of fun when we're together." I told her about the times we spent with each other. "I... I also told him about my mom and Sawyer."

Her eyes widened. "Really?"

I nodded.

She thought for a moment. "Do you trust him?" I didn't hesitate before answering 'yes'. "Then that's all that matters."

The moment was cut off by the bell ringing obnoxiously, and I gathered my things. I didn't expect the conversation to end on such a heavy note, but Amber was right about the fact that it cleared up my head.

I said my goodbyes to her and began walking off to AP Bio with one thing on my mind; next Saturday.

{a/n}

Oh my God, I have so many filler chapters, I'm sorry

But I hope you somewhat enjoy them anyway? Thanks for reading :)

Vote, comment, etc. You know what to do. Until next time, mwah! xx

-Seagull