{fourteen}

"Carson? What are you doing here?"

He awkwardly scratched the back of his neck. "You dropped this. But I... forgot to give it back to you." He held out a silver chain, and I touched my neck involuntarily.

"Thanks, but why didn't you give it back tomorrow?"

He just smirked and raised his eyebrow. "Can I come in?"

"Sure...?" I stepped aside.

"Your dad asked if I'd join you for dinner," he explained with amusement in his eyes.

I blanched. Most dads would be chasing boys away from their little girls. But not mine. I sighed. "Come on."

At this moment, Noah bounded down the stairs. In catching sight of Carson, he looked back and forth before saying, "If dad can bring his girlfriend, and you can bring your boyfriend, then I'm calling my girlfriend too."

"No, he's not m--"

"Okay," Carson said to Noah, wrapping his arm around my waist. Around. My. Waist.

"He's not my boyfriend!" I emphasized, shoving off Carson's advances. He was laughing his head off at my blushing face, and let me tell you something: I could listen to that sound all day.

Meanwhile, Noah just gave us a weird look and took out his phone to call Lacey.

I dragged the tall, handsome idiot to the living room before I punched his arm. "What was that?"

"What?" Carson asked, playing innocent.

"You know, when you..." I waved my arms around my abdominal area.

"Ohhh, that," he smirked. "Why, did that make you nervous?" he asked with a smirk, taking a step closer.

"No," I denied weakly. I just grabbed the remote and turned on the TV. "What do you want to watch?"

"Fifty Shades Darker?" he asked. I elbowed him in the stomach and he groaned before finally saying "Fine, how about Monsters, Inc.?"

"Ooh, Peter Pan!"

"What, no! Okay, how about The Emperor's New Groove?"

We continued arguing, and somewhere in between, Noah entered, followed by Lacey.

"Ooh, what are we watching?" she asked.

"How about you pick," I suggested.

She sat down next to Noah as she watched me scroll through the list. "Oh, what about Alice in Wonderland?"

"Okay," I said. Carson and Noah nodded as well. I selected the movie and it began with the trademark Disney castle and theme music.

Ever since the big news was dropped, I hadn't gotten much time to think alone. "I'll go make some popcorn," I said distractedly. I fumbled up off the couch and walked into the kitchen. I began digging around in the pantry until I found a package of microwavable popcorn. I put it in the microwave for two minutes and finally leaned against the counter.

Dad has a girlfriend. I'm happy for him. I mean, he's finally moving on. But what about mom? He still loves mom, right? Of course he does, what am I thinking? He's happy. Ramona makes him happy. And that's all I want for him. We'll get to know her over dinner and we'll learn to get along just fine.

"Maya?" I looked up.

"Carson? What's up?"

"No, what's up with you? You looked really... I don't know, but it wasn't good."

I smiled at the fact that he noticed that, and I smiled wider at the fact that he was able to make me smile while I was confused, uncertain, and a little bit worried. But my smile fell soon after.

"My dad... has a girlfriend."

"Whoa," he breathed. "I did not see that coming. I thought it was going to be, like, 'Oh my god, Carson, I want you to kiss me.'"

I laughed and lightly punched his shoulder. "She's coming over for dinner, too. Noah isn't quite fond of her. It could get pretty awkward, so I understand if you want to back out."

"What? No way." I raised an eyebrow and he stared at me intensely, finally being serious. "You need someone to be there for you. It sounds like your dad will be paying attention to his girlfriend, and knowing you, you were there for Noah. But who was there for you?"

I blinked. "You really don't have to--"

"I know. I want to. You're so stubborn," he said with a little smile as he leaned on the counter. "Please let me help you this one time."

We stared at each other, and I didn't notice when we'd gotten so close. His face was now a few inches away from mine.

BEEP BEEP BEEP. I jumped away from Carson, and I think he swore under his breath. I opened the microwave and carefully dumped the hot popcorn into a big bowl. When I turned back again, Carson was gone.

I carried the bowl back into the living room and sat down next to him. His hand immediately dove into the popcorn and I rolled my eyes.

I don't know what caused me to make such a bold action, but I leaned against him and rested my head on his shoulder. I felt his head move to look at me. Then his arm slowly but surely made its way around me.

I was sure this was some minor form of cuddling.

And I was sure I liked Carson freaking Bennett.

{a/n}

I hope you guys liked this chapter! Make sure to leave a comment and vote, and I'll see you later :)

QOTD: What is your zodiac sign? I'm a Libra.

Mwah! xx

-Seagull