{fifteen}

I felt someone poke my cheek.

Then my nose.

Then my forehead.

I groaned. "Five more minutes," I mumbled, snuggling into the cushions.

I heard a familiar laugh. Carson. "Angel, I love having you drool all over me, but Ramona is going to get here in half an hour."

My eyes finally opened. "Half an hour?" I whimpered. I had less than thirty minutes to get my appearance under control. "Why didn't you wake me up earlier?" I whined, not waiting for a response. I dashed up the stairs. Luckily I didn't have to shower, so I just washed my face. I ran into my bedroom and brushed my hair through before taking off my outfit to pick what to change into. I finally decided to wear a cute black t-shirt dress that had a rose embroidered on the shoulder. For shoes, I wore red slip-ons before pleating my hair in a single dutch braid. I finished with mascara, winged eyeliner (which took a couple tries), and some natural lipstick.

I glanced at the clock. Five minutes to spare. Not bad. I went back down the stairs and into the kitchen to help set the table.

"Hi sweetie," my dad greeted. Noah and Carson were already sitting down.

"Hi, Dad. I'll set the table." I grabbed the plates, glasses, napkins, and utensils, and set to work putting a set in front of everyone.

When the doorbell rang and dad went to get it, I glanced down at Noah. "Keep an open mind," I told him before Ramona came in.

Everyone was now sitting down at the dining table. Noah was next to Lacey, Dad was across from Ramona, and that meant that there were only two seats for Carson and I. And they were next to each other.

"Ramona, this is Carson, Maya's boyfriend--"

"Dad, he's not my boyfriend!" I groaned.

He just chuckled. "And this is Lacey, Noah's girlfriend."

Noah gave a stiff nod and a forced smile, but it was progress. The kid was trying.

"It's nice to meet you. Do you all go to the same school?" Ramona inquired, trying to start a conversation.

"Yeah, we all go to South Crest," Carson jumped in easily. I gave him a questioning look, and he just shrugged, trying to hide a smirk.

"The food looks great, Oliver," Ramona said to my dad with a smile.

"It was really no big deal," my dad said, obviously trying to impress her. I rolled my eyes subtly.

"He put a lot of time into doing this for you," Noah said.

I raised my eyebrows at him awkwardly shifting in his seat. He was trying to be dad's wingman. Aww.

He made eye contact with me and I gave him a small nod and a smile. He was really giving an effort.

"So Carson, you play any sports?" my dad asked, successfully starting dinner conversation.

"Yeah, I play football," he answered. "In the spring I do track and field."

"You're on the football team?" I asked. I guess that's what I get for never going to one of our football games.

"And track and field," he replied mockingly.

"That's great, Carson. I was a track star in my high school days," Ramona piped up.

"Really? What events?"

"Sprints. I was the fastest girl in the district, let alone the team," she recalled with pride.

"Noah's basketball tryouts are coming up this winter," I offered.

"Oh, you play basketball?" Lacey asked. "That's so cool."

"Yeah, I want to play varsity next year though," he said.

"What about you, Lacey?" I asked.

"Dance," she answered. "I did cheer last year, but I fell and broke my wrist in two places. Suffice to say I didn't have great memories associated with that sport. What about you?" she asked me.

I shrugged. "I did volleyball ever since freshman year, but I decided not to this year. I wanted to focus on my college applications and such."

"That's great for you kids!" Ramona said, visibly relaxing since everyone seemed okay. "What colleges do you think you're applying to, dear?"

"Well, I've applied already for UW, UCSD, and Berkeley. I'm still working on NYU and Brown."

"Carson, what about you?" Ramona inquired. She was really trying to get to know us, even those of us that weren't part of the family.

"Well, so far I've only applied to UC Berkeley," he said, looking at me. "But I'm also applying for the University of Texas and Bowling Green. But I do have some scouts at the next football game, so if I do well I might get a scholarship."

I was impressed, to say the least. Carson had his ducks in a row and was waiting for the college scouts to make the next move. Dinner continued without a hitch, and afterward, Ramona left.

"Well, I should go. Thank you for having me," Lacey said sweetly.

"I'll walk you out," Noah said, strolling out of the dining room.

As Lacey walked past me she let my brother go out ahead of her, then looked me in the eye. "Maya, Brooke wanted me to pass along a message. Stay away from Carson, or you know something could go very wrong for you."

I almost choked. "Are you threatening me? And how do you know Brooke?"

She smiled in a demonically sweet way. "I'm her cousin." Before I could reply, she was out waving goodbye to my brother.

"You okay?"

I jumped and squealed at the voice behind me, before realizing it was Carson and glaring at him. "You scared me."

"Sorry," he smiled. "But seriously, you looked kinda pale for a minute there."

"No, no. I'm fine," I said. He shook his head in disbelief but let it go, and I was thankful.

"Let's just go watch a movie," he suggested. I nodded, knowing I had to get my mind off of whatever just happened.

{a/n}

So sweet little Lacey is actually a spy! Shocking! I hope you enjoyed this chapter guys, and if you did make sure to vote and comment.

Mwah! xx

-Seagull