Chapter 34

Chapter 34

It started to drizzle faint drops of rain as Justin pulled into the police station. Billie wasted no time opening the car door and running inside. At this time of night there were only a few patrol officers in and it dawned on Billie her suspect could’ve already gone home for the night. She rushed to Dillon’s office and found it empty as she suspected it would be. On the ride over she had helped out a small shred of hope they’d get there and Dillon would be behind his desk too busy to have answered his phone. Her shoulders slumped as that small glimmer of hope went out.

She moved around the office for any signs of a struggle and found none. The office looked like it always did and if someone did in fact have Dillon they hadn’t risked grabbing him from the office.

Sasha arrived at the office with Justin at her side. “I spoke to Dillon’s assistant out front and she said he left two hours ago.” She explained.  

Billie nodded and absorbed that information along with everything else they knew as fact. “And Marie?”

Sasha was prepared for the question even if she didn’t like the answers. It wasn’t easy on anyone when one of their own went missing. “She left some time before him. Justin charmed Marty into writing their addresses for us.” She looked down at the two slips of paper, each holding Dillon and Marie’s home addresses.

“Then lets go pay Marie a visit. It’s time we spoke to her anyway.” Billie didn’t want to waste time checking Dillon’s home and finding it like the office; clean and void of any clues. She knew deep down something was wrong, it would have mattered how busy he was or how tired he would’ve called her by now. Dillon never broke a promise and they made plans hours ago to see each other and talk about all the stuff around them. Something he had wanted to do all day.

The trio turned around and bypassed any curious stares and Marty’s questions along the way. Billie didn’t want to alarm these people with their boss’ disappearance yet. She was going to find him and end this before anyone could realize there was a problem. She refused to accept this could go any other way.

While Justin drove, Sasha put in a call to her husband and let him know where they were headed and the plan. She said her goodbyes and snapped her phone shut, again reaching forward and grasping her hand. “They’re doing everything they can on their end.” She didn’t bother Billie with the details of what ‘everything’ meant, probably because she knew better than anyone Billie wasn’t listening with her focus scattered with fear.

Billie sat in the passenger side and found herself thinking about the day she made up her mind to leave Boston with a one-way ticket out. She had bought the plane ticket three days before her wedding day and barely two days after losing her baby. Dillon believed she decided to leave after he broke down and confessed he didn’t want to be a husband so young and the pressure was suffocating him the night before they were set to say I-do. He never knew she had the same doubts. She thought the doubts were normal, pre wedding jitters and nothing more. She decided even with doubts she’d marry him because she didn’t want to break his heart. She had loved Dillon Merchant for so long the thought of breaking his heart threatened her own. But he made the first move and broke her heart without all the consideration she seemed to have on the situation.

He left her room their pre-wedding day and she remembered being furious. Before he made it to the driveway she was pulling the ticket out of her purse making up her mind to use it. There wasn’t enough time to leave gracefully. She packed and stressed the whole night trying to figure out how she’d tell Joey and her parents the wedding was off and that she had to leave. The first person she told was Joey. He wanted to know if she was sure this was the right thing and when she didn’t hesitate to say yes he was on her side a hundred percent.