Chapter 25

Chapter 25

“Have you ever seen the rain?” Kent Kendall asked from the chair he was chained to inside the interrogation room. “People see the rain and want to run for cover because you’ll get wet. I like to stop and watch it.”

“Why’s that Kent?” Pete asked, seated across the table.

“Because it washes away all the sins. All dirt and trash are washed away down the gutters to never be seen again. Blood is easy to wash away if it’s pouring hard enough. I made sure it was raining every time I followed god’s wishes.” He was the picture of pride.

“His wishes to kill?” Pete was soft spoken and calm, he was letting Kent tell the story first before really starting to apply the pressure and fish inside his head.

Kent shrugged uncomfortably. “It’s not wrong when you’re assisting the other person and that’s what I was doing.”

“But do you admit you took the lives of all these people?” Pete spread out some pictures of Kent’s victims including Joseph Savich and Don Kettle.

“Because it was for the greater good of their souls, yes.”

Pete nodded as his indifference on the matter slipped. “And Mary Kettle? You broke pattern for her, you weren’t trying to help her at all. You were trying to save yourself.”

Billie stood with Dillon and Nicholas behind the glass watching Pete get Kent to talk. What they needed the most was done; Kent admitted on tape to killing everyone they suspected him of. Now all those families could get closure and satisfaction in knowing Kent will never be able to hurt someone again.

Billie knew what she was supposed to be feeling, they got Kent, she made good on her promise to Joey to see his killer caught, but she wasn’t relieved like she had hoped. She was sad. Joey was still dead and nothing in the world was going to bring him back and because of that she felt like a failure because try as she might she couldn’t rewind time and save her brother’s life.

She turned her focus back onto Kent and wished she could jump though that glass and pound her frustration out on him.

She hadn’t realized she spoke out loud until Nicholas said. “Sasha got suspended for doing the same thing. That’s probably why Pete was adamant about you sitting this out.” He kept his eyes on Kent and Pete as he spoke.

Billie smiled faintly. “I remember that and I remember not blaming her. Pete was spitting nails when he got out of that room and you and Sasha were gone.” They fell silent and listened to the murderer on the other side.

Kent tensed viably when Pete mentioned Mary, his face twisted with anger and his delusional gospel bullshit was gone. “She was in my way. She was trying to sabotage everything I’ve worked for.”

“And Billie Savich? Were you going to kill her?”

Kent laughed and it made him appear more sinister which was rather scary. “I wanted to but I know I needed her and Father Savich wouldn’t have liked it. I wouldn’t be surprised if Billie had made it across my list, she’s a miserable bitch.”

Pete flipped through some papers from one of the files on the metal table. “If you were doing all this good work as you say then why were you targeting their families? Why did you send these photos to Agent Savich?” he slid one of Billie’s parents across the surface.

Kent’s eyes focused as he studied the picture; it was a moment later he started to shake his head. “I didn’t send these.”

Pete didn’t bat an eyelash. “I don’t believe you.”