Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Billie Savich was used to dealing with death and the horrors that came with it but never had it affected her personally like this. Now she knew the piercing pain that stabbed you in the heart when you learned someone you loved was gone; killed.

She had no other choice; she had to go home.

That following morning after learning about her brother’s murder she walked through the Washington building to Pete Truman’s office. She was an agent on his special task force, a subdivision of the CID with a high success rate. They dealt with all types of cases pertaining to everything over the FBI’s jurisdiction; violent, financial, organized, and drug related crimes.

She reached out and knocked twice on the closed office door.

“Come in.” Pete’s deep yet soft voice called out.

Billie stepped inside, closed the door, and took the seat he motioned to. “I hope I’m not interrupting.”  

“Of course not. I heard about your brother, I’m truly sorry.” He had met Joseph Savich several times and had taken an instant liking to the young priest. The world was a bit darker now that he was gone.

“Thank you.” Billie didn’t know how to hold that wave of pain back. She needed to be strong but the tears burned her eyes, her chest tightened with regret, and more than anything she didn’t know how to accept this nightmare as reality.

“You can take as much time as you need to mourn and cope.”

Billie kept her eyes down on her hands. “Thank you. I will be taking some time and going back home to Boston.”

“There’s more to this meeting, isn’t there?” Pete was a mastermind at reading people but this time what she was feeling and thinking was rather obvious. He’d do the same if he was in her shoes.

“I talked to a detective on my brother’s case and there’s no doubt it was a murder. I can’t sit back and wait for someone else to find his killer and get him justice. It has to be me.” she wiped the hot tears from her cheeks. “I won’t step on any toes, I’ll work along side them.” she knew the Boston Police Department wouldn’t be too happy about a fed in their territory.

“I knew you might feel that way or at the very least want to talk to the detectives for frequent updates. I took it upon myself to speak to Commissioner Merchant and clear up any misgivings about your presence. It was made clear the FBI wouldn’t be taking over the investigation but they are to allow you access. Merchant agreed to it.” Pete explained softly, aware of her past with the commissioner.

Billie’s heart raced as she heard the name of a man she tried for years to forget. She had stupidly forgotten Dillon had made commissioner sometime two years ago. Joey always made sure to keep her up to date with what was happening at home even when she swore up and down she didn’t care. “Thank you, for everything.” she said softly to Pete.

“Will you be alright going back there alone?” He was concerned for her state of mind. Pete always had this need to treat his agents like his own children.

Billie sat silent for a moment. No she wasn’t alright and she doubted she ever would be. “It’s been six years, that’s more than enough time for wounds to heal. The only thing that matters now is finding who killed Joey so he can rest in peace.” She knew she could be strong enough to handle whatever came her way because she’d be doing it for her brother and she knew without a doubt he would’ve done the same for her.

Pete knew she was trying to believe her words about going home, not that she actually did. He knew he couldn’t interfere; she had to work it out on her own pace. “You have the whole team at your disposal; we all want this killer found. I know how close you and Joey were, does anything stand out about the last several weeks? Had he let on something was wrong?”

“No. I went over every single time we talked but nothing stands out. He was like he always was, he was himself.” she wringed her hands over her lap as a nervous gesture. She wished there was something that could point her in the direction she needed to follow.

“The clues are out there, once you get back home the clues will be come together and you’ll solve the puzzle.” He wanted to offer some beacon of hope and gave the piece of advice he always told his agents when they were beating themselves over the head with frustration.

“I’m hoping you’re right.” Billie sighed and stood from her seat. “My flight leaves in a couple of hours. I need to get to the airport. Thank you again sir for all your help.”

Pete rose and walked her out. “No thanks needed. If you need anything you know we’re here. When you get to the Boston PD call me and let me know the facts.”

Billie drove down the street headed back home to pack while racking her brain the whole ride. Pete was right something had to be wrong and Joey had to have left a clue. Or did someone just pick Joey on a whim and kill him? No, that didn’t make sense because of the evidence they had. Joey was shot in the head at the church where he was a priest. Whoever committed the murder was let in behind to the office area. The killer could’ve snuck in but there were no signs of that, he was let in, by Joey.

“Come on Joey, something happened. Help me figure it out.” Billie said, hitting the steering wheel. She was mad, angry, and sad. She wanted to cry as much as she wanted to hit someone.  She took her mind off her brother’s murder as much as she could and realized she was going back home. She left six years ago because she couldn’t breathe there any longer. She loved her parents but she couldn’t be there were everything reminded her of her regrets and sorrow. 

Once she had been so happy in Boston and in one second that all changed.

It was happening all over again.

Boston held too many painful memories and now held another, her brother’s murder.

She arrived home, going straight to her bedroom to pack. She knew going back would be hard but in the last six years, she found a way to heal. The past didn’t hurt as bad as it once did. Billie just hoped going back wouldn’t re-open old wounds. She prayed seeing Dillon wouldn’t break her heart all over again.

Dillon Merchant finished briefing the press on the murder of Father Joseph Savich. He tried to remain professional as if it wasn’t his best friend murdered in cold blood at the house of god. As professional as he wanted to be in front of others, there was no mistaking the anger in his bright green eyes.

“Hey, Marty, anything for me?” Dillon asked while stopping at his assistant’s desk.

“No messages. But there’s an FBI agent waiting in your office.” Marty explained, her tone hinted at the obvious question; why?

“Thanks.” His chest tightened as he forced his feet forward and stepped into his office.

She was sitting on the sofa, looking more beautiful than the last time he saw her. More grown up he realized. She focused her big pretty eyes on him. He always thought her eyes could see into his soul.  “You got here fast.” he pointed out, regaining his thoughts and task at hand. There was no time to be a teenager again smitten with his best friend’s sister.

“You were told I would. You look like hell.” It was obvious he hadn’t slept since Joey’s body was found.

Dillon went and sat behind his desk, looking at her. “Too bad I can’t say the same about you Billie. Being gone six years and becoming a fed really agrees with you.” he wished he hadn’t let her get under his skin or at least that he hadn’t reacted to it but she always did find a way to get to him. Always had.

She swallowed hard. “Thanks.”

Dillon smiled at the fact she was just as uncomfortable around him as he was around her. He let out a deep sigh. “We should get to work.”