Chapter 4

Chapter 4

 Billie met with Jill and saw that the other woman cared a great amount for her brother. She owed so much to him the woman explained. Because of Father Savich I have my life back, were her last words before they parted ways. They had decided to leave the sketch process for tomorrow after the emotional toll. Billie thought it would be good for the other woman to go home and regroup before continuing. When they did the sketch she’d need every little detail.  

Afterward she headed back to Dillon’s office, she sighed and sat down on the empty couch aligned against the wall. “If you tell me to go home and relax or I look like hell or something I won’t like; I swear I’ll kick you.” Billie warned as she raked back her hair, glaring at him in the process.

Dillon placed his hands up in surrender. “I won’t say a word.”

Billie sighed and let some of the tension ease from her shoulders “Thanks and thanks for being so open to the idea of more people on your turf.”

“I was honest Billie, I don’t mind. They really care about you.” Dillon pointed out, placing his pen down and putting all his focus on her face.

“It’s like Sasha said; it’s family. I’ve never met let alone been part of a group of people that care so much. I was part of Sasha’s wedding; we were all there when she gave birth. It doesn’t stop at the office, we’re apart of each other’s lives. I think it has a lot to do also with the fact Pete has us so open with each other. He has this way of making you talk and you don’t even know it. Like with---” She stopped herself in time before admitting she told Pete about their past.

“With?” Dillon pressed.

“With here, my whole life, he got me to talk about it.” Billie said, not far from the truth. “He’s a psychologist; he knows how to get inside your head. Pete makes sure you’re ready for the job ahead.” She added.

“Is it hard, your job?” Dillon softly asked, continuing to stare at her as she spoke about her new life, one so different from his.

“No more than yours, maybe easier. You’re the boss so you have a lot more stress on you.” Billie explained. “It’s only hard when it’s personal.”

Dillon heard the pain laced in her voice, her heart silently breaking. “We’ll get this perp Billie, Joey’s death won’t go unpunished.” He vowed.

Billie found herself staring into his green warm eyes. “Thanks.”

“Don’t kick me but you should get out of here.” Dillon said noticing the darkness around her eyes. He wanted to help her but there was nothing he could do except tell her to rest.

Billie shook her head, she wasn’t leaving. “I keep hoping something will happen and this could be over. He just wanted to help people; he always wanted a simple meaningful life. Now it was taken away just like that.” she told herself not to cry but she still felt the tears sting her eyes. The regret tight around her neck.

The door opened, Sasha and Justin walked in, he looked at Billie with piercing blue green eyes. “What’s wrong?”

Billie shook her head again. “I’m fine, what’s up?”

“We canvassed the church.” Sasha began. “We talked to a few people trying to get the feel for everything. Nick and Pete will stop by tomorrow since it’s late and I’m ditching Justin on you.” she finished explaining to the other woman.

“Yeah the husband is here so I’m not needed. She loves to use me.” Justin added, pleased to see a smile from Billie.

“I’m going.” Sasha said and bent down and hugged her friend goodbye. “Goodnight everyone.” She said before leaving.

“Boss man here thinks I should go rest.” Billie stood from the sofa. “So let’s get out of here too.”

“Straight to bed, you’re not such a bad date after all.” Justin said ushering her to the office door.

“Ever since we met two minutes don’t pass without you flirting. You’re driving me crazy.” Billie said and turned to Dillon, she saw something, maybe anger, in his eyes but maybe she just wanted him to dislike seeing her around another man. “I’m going to go, call me if anything comes up.” She told him, he nodded and held their stare for a moment longer before Billie walked out.

“So,” Justin began as they walked to her car. “What happened with you and Merchant?”

Billie got inside the car and turned it on. “What do you mean?”

Justin looked at her for a moment as she looked ahead. “There’s something there. This is your home town right? You have a past together.” He stated. “Not a good one.”

“I’m not going to talk about it.”