Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Billie felt Joey at the church. She knew this was the place he had spent all of his time, the place he felt he made the most difference and wanted to continue to empower. This was his home. She could envision him up on the podium giving his sermons and the smile he’d wear talking to the congregation. She regretted never being able to take the time to come and listen to him. Six years was a long time, a whole life her brother had that she had never gotten to experience with him. He had always made sure to visit every few months and catch up in her life but never did she have the guts to return the favor. She hoped it mattered to his soul that she was there now and wouldn’t rest until his work was finished.

Father Tim Morrison greeted Billie and Dillon and offered up his condolences. “Thank you.” Billie made sure to mind her manners and thank everyone who cared about her brother because they were the ones there with him every day when she couldn’t be.  “How long did you know Joey?”

“Since the first day he walked through those doors and joined our parish.” Father Morrison’s expression grew far as he thought back to the memory. He was a man nearing his sixties with kind brown eyes and a head full of grey hair. Billie could see her brother regarding his man like a second dad and Morrison regarding Joey as a son. The loss of such a bond was weighing heavily on the man’s face now. “I heard on the news this morning that you arrested the man responsible?”

“Yes, sir.” Dillon answered, his voice carrying respect for Father Morrison. “I know how kind you’ve been letting my staff take a look around. Would you mind letting Agent Savich do her own walk through and collect Joey’s personal items?”

“Oh of course.” Father Morrison rushed to say. “If there’s anything I can do to help please let me know.”

Both officers thanked the Farther again for his time before making their way to Joey’s office. Dillon knew the church like the back of his hand and offered to be the tour guide so everyone could continue with their work.

“Did you come see Joey here a lot?” Billie asked as she took in the large space from the front of the pews, the same angle Joey would’ve seen it from millions of times. The church she used to go to with her family had been knocked down some time ago and before this one was open she was already in Washington.

“I had my butt planted in one of these pews every Sunday no matter what. Joey didn’t care for any excuse and even without any sleep he dragged me in here. Amanda would hook her arm with mine and make sure I sat through the whole service or else. She would say crime had to wait until the Lord’s worship was complete and not a minute sooner.”

Billie could picture every moment he described and the kick her brother would’ve gotten seeing their mother act like the strong drill sergeant she was even with the police commissioner.

They continued through a hallway and up a short staircase to where the offices were located. Dillon explained that no one had touched Joey’s since CSU came and gathered evidence. “I was going to come and clean it out but…” he sighed, running a hand through his short brown hair. “I don’t know how to be here without him.”

They stood at the open door frame looking inside Joey’s private space. There was still police crime scene tape blocking entrance and warning of the loss lain within those four walls.  “Did you ever see Kent here?” Billie asked.

“No, he must’ve met with Joey throughout the rest of the week. I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it and not once can I remember Kent.” He was apologetic about not being able to see the killer and stop him before he could forever change their lives. It was a sentiment Billie understood well. She couldn’t stop thinking had she just done one thing differently her brother could still be alive.