Chapter Ten

I didn't go over to the Callihan's house for weeks. 

I didn't answer any of Spencer's calls for fear of what he might say. He never left a voicemail. 

In fact, most of my time was spent at Nat's house job searching for the past two weeks, avoiding any questions she had about boys. As soon as I told her about what happened with Spencer, I knew it had been a mistake. And then when I mentioned how James spent the night after that, it made it even worse. 

"Tell me again why you didn't kiss Spencer?" she inquired for the millionth time. 

I pinched the bridge of my nose with my thumb and forefinger. "Because it makes everything so much more complicated. I can't deal with complications right now." I tried not to sound annoyed with her. 

"Oh boy," Nat started. "You say you don't want complications, but look at you! You clearly still have feelings for Spencer, so why don't you just give him another chance? Obviously he wants one. Oh, wait, you won't do that because you have feelings for you best friend. Not me, of course. But you won't admit to that either. Damn it, Morgan, will you please make up your mind already? You're giving me a headache." 

Groaning, I closed out of Monster.com, and paced the length of her room. "I have more complications than that," I grumbled. 

"Right, you're also a drug dealer. Forgot about that part." she took a seat on her bed and opened a magazine. That reminded me of yet another complication: as far as I knew, Spencer had no idea about me working for James. I doubted he would approve if he did know. 

I hadn't confirmed or denied my current job occupation to her, James wouldn't let me. But she certainly knew. "Speaking of, I could really use a good bud. Whatever I got last time was shit. Kayla says she gets really good stuff from a close friend of mine. I wonder who that could be..." 

I could feel her giving me a knowing look, but I turned away and pretended to be interested in the contents of her closet. 

"Whatever," she sighed, ending the ordeal. 

*** 

James came to get me soon after that. As much as I loved Nat, I could only take so much of her overbearing-ness. Besides, I hadn't seen James since he slept over. I was deprived of my daily dose of... Whatever he was. 

"Hey doll face," he greeted when I got in, then threw the car into gear and we were off. "Got a job for you," 

I should have known that's why he was okay with coming to Natalia's house to pick me up. He wouldn't set foot around her otherwise. His hatred for her was becoming a bit ridiculous. 

"Why me?" I asked the lord out loud. 

"Because I can't handle stupid pricks who don't know the difference between rolling and snorting coke. You can," he explained. 

Before James, I didn't even know what rolling was. Now it seemed silly that someone (especially in the drug scene) was as ignorant as I used to be. "Oh, fine, but only if you get on your knees and beg," I joked. 

He didn't seem to find it funny, for he retorted with, "How about you get on your knees, and while you're down there you can give me-"

"Okay!" I shrieked, cutting him off. "No begging. That's cool, I can deal," 

James drove me to a neighborhood that looked really familiar. The conjoined town homes looked cheery as ever with their pale yellow paint and quaint flowers planted out front. A knot formed in my stomach when I thought of who lived down here. 

I let out a sigh of relief when he passed her house, and tensed again when he flipped around at the end of the block, muttering something about how the house numbers should be much larger.