Chapter Sixteen

I couldn't stop picking up the phone and almost calling James. 

I never actually did it, I was too mad at him. But it didn't mean that I didn't miss my bestfriend. And I missed having him around, making stupid jokes and taking me on drug runs. I even missed dealing. 

Nat and I hung out more and more, and each time she kept dropping the hint that she wanted some sort of drug. I wanted to scream at her and say that it wasn't like I could do anything about it, seeing as James was no longer talking to me. 

But she did make for good entertainment. Her string of boys going after her exotic looks and big booty never failed to amuse me. Some of them were just plain... Yeah. 

Like this one guy she took me to meet. His name was Carsen, and he had this horrible tendency to stare at boobs. It didn't matter who's they were, or how big they were, he just did. He was literally the epitome for a stereotypical, shallow, disgusting teenage boy that we have all come to know and love. The best part, was he zoned out whenever he was around girls. You could say anything and he wouldn't notice. 

"What the hell, Nat," I said one day. 

She looked at me innocently. "What?" she asked, as if she had no idea what I was talking about. 

"He's disgusting." 

Nat shrugged and said, "But he has a magic tongue."

I didn't really know what to say orther than, "Ewe. I didn't need to know that."

"Don't judge," she warned jokingly.  

 I tried so hard not to, but sometimes she made that hard. As much as I liked her, I really wondered how much we had in common. Things came easy with her, but I knew that if you asked her one personal question about me, she wouldn't know the answer. 

"I should probably go," I announced. "See ya later." 

She offered me a ride, but I didn't mind walking. I welcomed the fresh, humid, dense air. 

Just as I got home and kicked off my flip flops, my phone began to ring. Praying and hoping to God that it was James finally coming to his senses, I quickly answered without looking at the caller ID. 

"James?" I practically shouted in excitement. 

"Err," the other line said. "Wrong brother." 

Well, that's awkward, I thought. "Oh, hey Spencer," I couldn't help but put an edge of disappointment in my voice. "What's up?" 

There was a slight pause at the other end. "I was wondering if we could meet up or something?"

My heart started to race a little faster. "Umm... Why?" I know it sounded rude, but I had to ask. 

Spencer let out an audible breath. "We didn't really get to finish our talk a while ago." 

I thought back to our conversation on if I wanted him back. Wow that felt like forever ago. I guess with the whole James thing, I kind of pushed that to the back of my mind. 

"Oh," I said. "Yeah, I guess we never did finish that." 

"Yeah," pause. "So, what do you say? Can I come pick you up or something?" 

I started to have an internal debate with myself, about what would be the best option. But I really needed to stop just ignoring him. Honestly, I was still trying to figure out why he kept coming back to me when all I did was push away everytime we even moderately got close. 

So I said what I should. "Of course," 

"Cool," his voice sounded relieved. "I'll pick you up in ten."