Chapter Fourteen

Running away never seemed to help anybody, or their problems. 

I knew this well, and had seen it up close and personal. I remember back in eighth grade when Lillian got into this huge fight with her mom, over what, I don't remember. But she ended up packing a bag and leaving for over a week and a half. She came to my house, and didn't return home until the cops showed up at my place and took her back to her mom. 

She moved into her dads house after that. 

I recall telling her that just leaving isn't going to help what problems she had with her mom. I was right. In fact, they got worse, so bad that Lillian had to file a restraining order on her. That was just a rumor, I couldn't tell you if it was true. 

But here I was, the girl who always said you should confront your problems, holed up in Nat's house, and refusing to talk to some silly boys, ones that probably won't even matter to me after high school. 

At least that's what I told myself. 

Once I had spilled the beans on everything that had happened to Nat, she gushed over what I should do, and how she was starting to like this Spencer guy. She told me to start dating Spence again, but keep James on the side. 

"I don't really know what you mean by 'on the side'," I said, rolling my eyes. 

"Oh, you know," she started to explain, toying with the ends of her hair. "Like you have Spencer, and he's like, your main event. But when he's not there, you have James to fool around with," 

I stared at her. She never was going to get it was she? 

Instead of trying to explain how James and I were not an item- no, not even an option- I just sighed and said, "Thanks for the advice," even thought she didn't help at all. 

She took this as permission to move onto her own life. "Why can't anybody tell me someone who can get me some good pills. Or at least some weed. I need some weed." she complained to me. I ignored her the best I could, but it was really hard not to give in and tell her I could easily get her some when she wouldn't shut up about it. 

James still wouldn't budge, even when I told him that she was trustworthy. 

So I just sat there, nodding in agreement like I really thought it was tragic that she couldn't go a day without a fix of something. In fact, a girl that acted to normal and engaged, it was strange that she had an addiction to, well, anything. 

"Come on, Morgan," She begged. "You're best friends with the famous druggie himself, you have to know somebody," 

I just shrugged. 

Nat was playing with her hair again, and I didn't realize how much that bugged me until that moment. She never did stop touching that damn, gorgeous, black hair. I looked down at my own with disdain, with its mousy color and frizziness from never being done anymore. 

"How do you get your hair to look like that, always?" I asked without thinking. 

She gave me a smile. "I could show you on your hair if you want. You just have to start with some heat protectant, and..." She continued talking as she lead me to the bathroom and began working with my hair.  

There were always occasional times when I let her do my hair, like at parties. But it was usually minimal work. The same went for my makeup. I allowed her to put on some mascara and some lipgloss but that was it. 

It wasn't until now that I missed getting done up like I did everyday, where there was never a day my hair and makeup weren't done. 

So I let her do the whole she-bang, and I had to say that I looked pretty good.