14

"I'm telling you, that was her. It wasn't just some trick; it was Natalee," Patty insists.

Ted sighs. "I want to believe you, but why would he have just let her go? Plus, she thought she was dreaming. And then she vanished, Patty. It had to have been some trick; a projection or something."

"No. I hugged her. She was entirely solid, I'm telling you."

"Then what's your explanation?" Ted demands, exasperated. "How did she disintegrate and disappear?"

Patty is silent. She doesn't know all the answers. All she knows is that last night, she saw her best friend. She's sure of it.

"That's what I thought," Ted sighs again. "Look, Patty, I know what you believe, and you may even be right, somehow. But we can't go giving the public false hope. We don't exactly have any leads. You understand that, right? I'm going to have to pretend this never happened, and if word leaks out... I'm passing it off as a trick."

Patty nods mutely. It makes sense; the public would be much too excited if they heard Natalee was sighted. It would make them hopeful that the police have almost found the killer, when in reality, they're no closer than when they began the investigation.

"I just want my friend back," she whimpers.

Ted nods understandingly. "Everyone does, Patty. But look on the bright side."

"What bright side?"

He lowers his voice with the hint of a smile on his face. "If you're sure that was really her... then at least you know she's still alive."

*                                                                                             *                                                                           *

Amelie's hazel eyes are like torches in the dark room. Her gaze has gotten progressively brighter as Olivia went on telling her story; from Changing, to Natalee's arrival, to the resentment she felt, to Nelye arriving, to the plan she hatched, to the plan being carried out, to Ryffin's wrath. Quite quickly, Amelie realizes that the story always seems to lead back to this Natalee.

"How interesting. Don't you agree, Amer?"

Her brother nods in assent, lips creeping up in a smile.

Olivia looks back and forth between them. "Sorry, but why do you both seem happy about this? What difference does it make to us, down here?"

Amelie thinks hard before she speaks. This Olivia is weak, sensitive, and fragile, according to her tale. She would be nothing as an ally - but then again, she would make just as useless an enemy.

"We're just glad to see that Ryffin finally has a weakness. Aren't we, Amer?"

Her brother's eyes glint maliciously. "Of course, Amelie."

Olivia still appears disconcerted. "Well... yeah, I guess..."

There's silence for a while, as the siblings retreat into their mental worlds, the beginnings of a great idea emerging for the first time in years. Olivia looks back and forth between them all the while, and finally can't seem to take the silence any longer.

"So... Lucy. I haven't heard her speak yet."

"Oh, she's the screamer. I don't hear her speak often, either; just groans and cries," Amelie responds.

Olivia nods, looking uncomfortable. "She doesn't look so good. I mean, at least you can still tell that Patricia has good looks somewhere in there, but Lucy..."