6

Natalee wakes up feeling chilled. Not just due to the alarming, awful revelations of the past few days, but also because this place is freezing. She tries for a few minutes to warm up under her blankets, but soon realizes it's no use - it's her body that's cold, and no matter how much she rubs her hands against her skin, it just won't change temperature.

She kicks the blankets off in anger and storms out of her room. The lounge area is empty... or it seems to be at first glance. It only takes a moment for Natalee's new senses to penetrate the darkness and notice the boy, standing in an open doorway across the room, as if waiting for her.

Knowing that he's a vampire too, and can see her perfectly well, she just glares at him as she calls, "So what now? You got me here, now what the hell are you planning on doing with me?"

Olivia wakes up from the couch with a start and quickly assesses the situation, finally rising from her seat and going to stand beside her master in silence.

In the blink of an eye, the boy moves from his spot and appears inches from Natalee. "Now, we hunt," he says simply.

Natalee shakes her head. "If you're expecting me to murder humans, stop expecting it. I won't do it and you can't make me." It's a childish thing to say and she knows it, but she wants to get the point across as quickly as possible.

The boy merely cocks his head at her. "I hadn't planned on bringing you to Leewood, if that's what you're thinking. I'm done with that town; I don't need it anymore. I've already found you."

*                                                                                          *                                                                    *

Olivia just scowls as she watches the scene unfold.  Natalee is so foolish to try to resist her master. What does she stand to gain?  Why won't she take advantage of the fact that he's interested in her?  Because, as much as Olivia wishes it wasn't so obvious, her master feels something for Natalee.  She wouldn't be able to explain just what that something is, but it's there all the same.

"So now that you've got me, you don't get hungry anymore?" Natalee wonders, her expression guarded.

The boy shakes his head mournfully. "Of course I'll still get hungry. You don't seem to understand; normally I would be much... quieter... about how I feed. Nobody would be fearing for a serial killer. I can be quite clever, you know." He pauses, smiling to himself. "Anyway, I was just in a rush to get what I wanted. But I'm done with that town now."

"And 'what you wanted'... that was me?" Natalee asks softly, her eyes sharp and scrutinizing.

As Olivia watches, her master reaches out a hand and trails the tips of his fingers down the length of Natalee's cheek... quickly, gently, but Olivia catches the look in his eyes.

Natalee instinctively shies away from the contact, her eyes wide, staring at the boy in disbelief. When she speaks again, her voice is soft and scathing, and if Olivia weren't a vampire, she knows she wouldn't be able to hear it at all.

"So that's what this is about," she says, such an edge to her voice that the boy backs away. "You really think, after everything you've done, that I would ever be interested in you? You really think that after killing seven people, after turning me into a monster, that I would learn to care for you?"

Olivia takes a sharp breath. Her master doesn't react to Natalee's words but for the tightening of his fists and lips. Olivia moves a step closer, wanting to comfort him, wanting to be his favorite again, but he takes no notice of her. He stares at Natalee a moment longer, yearning in his gaze... then the moment is gone, and so is he.