39

They don't stop. Even when the sun falls below the horizon, their steps don't slow. The pack travels quickly, and Natalee finds it difficult to wrap her mind around the fact that she is in the company of werewolves. Sure, she's a vampire, so it really shouldn't be that hard to believe in another supernatural race; besides, Ryffin had already told her about werewolves, about how his family conducted their experiments on them, too. But it's entirely different, being here with them; as a captive, no less.

They haven't exactly broken the news to her that they're not entirely human, but she figured it out on her own. Joyce's full moon comment made the connection for her; Natalee's not stupid, and she already knew something was off. Humans shouldn't be able to restrain vampires, shouldn't be able to move this fast... the list could just go on. Something was strange about all of these people to begin with, and now it all makes more sense.

Werewolves. Vampires' natural enemies. And Natalee is already their prisoner; Ryffin as well, although he is still unconscious. And even though this Lucy assured her that she didn't want to kill her, or Ryffin, Natalee finds it hard to believe. After all, Ryffin imprisoned her, tested on her. Surely, like Amelie, this woman wants some kind of revenge.

Natalee bites her lip. Ryffin hadn't told her that his prisoners had been involved with the experiments. He had assured her that he had nothing to do with them, was nothing like his parents. Yet Lucy had seemed so sincere, and Amelie had not seemed to be lying, either.  

Why would Lucy bother to lie, anyway? There seem to be enough people after both Natalee and Ryffin that the werewolves could have just left them alone, and they would still probably be caught and killed by some other force. So they needed personal incentive, a strong desire to be the ones to take Ryffin for themselves. And the imprisonment of the pack leader... well, that would probably do it.

Still, this knowledge doesn't change Natalee's feelings for Ryffin, and her concern for him is still at its peak. They separated the two of them after the pack broke camp. Ryffin was tied to some makeshift gurney and lifted by a few men; Natalee had tried to fight again, to reach him, to stay with him... and had received the same treatment. She can barely move a muscle, as all of her limbs are restrained, held tight against the wood she is being forced to lie on.

Her instincts, of course, are screaming at her to break free, to teleport, to get away from these creatures.  

However, her rational mind is telling her that she can't. For one, Ryffin is here. He wouldn't leave her, and she isn't going to leave him. She knows she couldn't, anyway; he is hurt, and the panic she felt when she saw the blood leaving his body, when she saw how deep his wound was, when she saw his unmoving form, his eyes closed... it was indescribable. She can't leave him. She can't.

The fact that there are vampires following them is also holding Natalee back. What vampires would possibly be coming after Ryffin to help him? Sure, Natalee barely knows any vampires, but most that she has met would definitely rather see Ryffin dead than save his life. Knowing this, Natalee feels like even if she did get away, she wouldn't be any more welcome amidst the incoming vampire clan than she is with the werewolf pack... in fact, she would probably be killed even faster there.  

She yawns. She is not comfortable, but she is exhausted. Her mind is racing, but the thoughts are all becoming jumbled and meaningless. She's already getting hungry again, and since she hasn't quite made up her mind about what she is going to do on that front, she figures getting some rest is the next best thing to make sure she stays as strong as possible. There is nothing she can do to help Ryffin at the moment, anyway.  

She lets her eyes fall shut, imagining that she is on her bed back home, rather than on a stiff raft carried on a sea of monsters...

She opens her eyes what seems like mere seconds later, but is shocked to realize that she is standing, no longer tied up and lying on her back. She feels her stomach drop in terror when she glances around and doesn't recognize her surroundings. She can tell she is still in the same woods, but she doesn't see any of the pack members, doesn't recognize this spot. The sky is dark, and her hands start trembling. What happened? Where is she? Where have they taken Ryffin?