35

Natalee is the first to pull away, letting out a sharp, appalled breath.

"Daniel," she murmurs, and locks her horrified gaze with Ryffin's. His eyes harden in return.

"What about him?" he asks cautiously, trying to hide his obvious disapproval.  

Natalee steps away from him, shaking her head to clear it. How could she have been so stupid? She forgot all about him, forgot that they left him there, alone. Oh, no... what if he's--

"We need to go back for him," she states firmly. She blanches as her words to Dan come back to her in a rush... Thank you for searching for me. I hope you know I would do the same for you.

Ryffin narrows his eyes. "It's not safe back there right now."

She just gapes at him. "I know it's not safe, but we left him to face Amelie alone! We have to go back, we have to help him--"

"I'm not putting you in danger again, Natalee," Ryffin says, and his tone is not one to argue with. He brushes something off his sleeve, avoiding her eyes, as he adds, "Besides, I doubt he lasted through that fight."

The world tilts. Natalee sees Ryffin move, but she can't seem to mirror the action, can't seem to lift her feet at all. Is she falling, or is she just dizzy? She tries to form words, thinks that she is successful, can't be sure until Ryffin responds.

"He might be, Natalee. I just don't want you to have false hope. Even I would have lost that fight, and Daniel isn't as experienced as I am."

Natalee's eyes focus a bit, and she is pleased to see that she didn't fall. She's tired of being weak. It is time for her to be strong, to do what needs to be done. To do the right thing.

"I have to find him." She declares it with finality, ignoring the frustration in Ryffin's expression that rapidly merges into panic as she closes her eyes, preparing to teleport away.

"Natalee, don't--" he starts, but she's gone before he can finish.  

She lands in Ryffin's lounge, the room she is pretty familiar with at this point. She quickly ducks behind a chair, in case Amelie is still lingering here. She and Ryffin have been gone for a while, but one never knows.  

Just seconds after she hides herself, she hears a whoosh, and peeks over the back of the chair to see Ryffin standing in the center of the room, a fierce, angry scowl scarring his expression.  

"Natalee," he calls, and though his displeasure is clear in his voice, so is his anxiety.

She stands up, fairly sure that she doesn't sense anyone else here, feeling much safer, anyway, in Ryffin's presence. When he sees her, his body sags with obvious relief. She holds back a smile.

"I wasn't trying to get away from you," she says, rolling her eyes at the prospect. "I just need to find Dan. I promised him. He's my friend, Ryffin."

Ryffin closes his eyes, taking a deep breath in through his nose before responding. 

"Amelie could have been here. She could have attacked you in an instant--" he cuts himself off, swallowing hard. Natalee doesn't say anything, and after a moment, he holds his arms out in front of him.

"Just come here," he urges, and she does so gladly, happy to do anything to reassure him that she's safe, that she wants to be with him... hopefully, if she keeps him in good spirits, he'll forget that he hates Dan, will help her find him.

"You've got to stop disobeying me, Natalee," he sighs, his arms around her stiff with tension. "You're going to get yourself killed."

Natalee grins against his chest. "I will not be agreeable," she teases, quoting herself from their first meeting, when she was resisting him, thinking he was nothing but a cold-blooded killer.