Chapter 5: You Weren't There

I stood backstage behind my brothers waiting for our queque to run on stage. I could hear the screams and anticipation from the crowd. I could see three spot lights shining down on the stage. My heart was racing and my hands became clammy leaving wet marks on my microphone. 

"Five minutes!" Our TM yelled to us. 

I took a deep breath and clenched the mic in my hand. I noticed Connor turn around and he placed his hand on my shoulder. 

"Ri, you're gonna do great. You always do." Connor reassured me. 

"If you feel overwhelmed just let one of us know and we'll stop the show." Toby added.

I nodded and took a deep breath. My head shot up when I heard the sirens fill the venue of our opening song. 

"You ready?" Connor asked and I nodded in reply. In all honesty, I wasn't ready. I hadn't performed in years. What if I was awkward on stage and forgot how to put on a good show? All of this flooded in my mind when I was two feet from walking out on stage. I pushed my thoughts aside and ran out on stage. 

I squinted at the bright lights. Once I got used to them I noticed all the smiling faces below me. Their energy and excitement transferred to me and I knew exactly how to put on a good show. 

Near the end of our set I caught a glimpse of the merch tables. Maggie stood there watching me with a small smirk on her face. When she realized I could see her she looked away quickly and I noticed her cheeks turned a light shade of pink. I smiled to myself and then snapped back into reality when I heard Connor's voice. 

"So, we haven't toured in awhile and it feels so good to be back up here performing for you guys." He said slightly out of breath. "This is gonna be our last song, Boston. Let's go crazy." 

The crowd erupted and my smile grew larger. I forgot how great performing felt. 

____

It was the end of the night and people were just walking off of our bus after the bus party. I plopped down on the couch and closed my eyes for what felt like two seconds. 

"Guys, you've got fans who've been waiting outside for almost two hours. I told them you'd come out for a few minutes." 

Connor and Toby nodded and headed towards the door. I got up slowly and followed eventhough I was exhausted. I walked off the bus into the street and heard my name being yelled in every direction. 

"Riley!"

"Ri, I love you." 

"Can we get a picture, Riley?" 

"Hi, Riley." 

"Riley, oh my gosh." 

My head started pounding and my hands were becoming clammy again. I took a step back and I felt my back hit the side of the bus. 

"Riley, will you sign this?"

"Hey, Riley, picture?"

I closed my eyes shut and then opened them. I felt overwhelmed and I couldn't find Connor anywhere. He was nowhere in sight. I was starting to get light headed and my vision was blurry. Blurry faces of girls flashes in front of me and I tried my best not to let my knees go out from under me. 

I saw one fan look at me with concern and then disappear into the crowd. 

*Connor's POV*

"Connor! Connor!" I heard a girl screaming from a few feet away. I looked up quickly and saw a girl frantically running through a crowd of people near the bus. "Connor!" 

She shoved through the two girls infront of me asking for a picture and grabbed my wrist, "Hurry! It's Riley!" 

When I realized what the fan had said my heart started racing. I could see him standing against the bus and his face was flushed. His eyes wondered in all different directions and he tried to play it off. He tried to smile and talk to fans but I knew he couldn't take this much longer. 

"Riley! Riley!" I shouted from the back of the crowd surrounding him. "Excuse me." I said pushing through. 

Once I made it to the front and placed my hands on both of Riley's shoulders, "Hey, are you okay?" I asked looking at him straight in the face. He shook his head and his eyes glassed over. 

"Hey, we have to wrap this up! Thanks for coming tonight, guys!" I yelled to the crowd of girls. 

I grabbed Riley and helped him onto the bus and Toby followed closely behind us. I sat him down on the couch in the front lounge and grabbed him a bottle of water. 

"You alright?" 

"I couldn't find you." He said softly. "You weren't there." 

"I know. I'm sorry." 

"You said you'd always be there and I couldn't find you. I panicked." 

"Ri, I'm so sorry." 

My heart sank knowing that I failed to keep my promise. I had no idea he was looking for me outside. 

"Is it always like that? Is there always so many people? I don't remember there always being that many people." Riley stated in a panic. 

"I'm afraid it will be, Ri." 

He sighed and laid back on the couch. He just laid there and stared up at the ceiling. I was started to think this whole tour thing was a bad idea. I shouldn't have pressured him into this.