11. THE GREAT WAR

THIRD-PERSON POV

Gaia walked out of her mothers room where she practiced magic feeling exhausted. The new batch of serum wouldnt be ready for another 5 days, but Gaia wasnt worried since the blood moon was still 8 days away; the new batch of serum would be ready by the time the blood moon begins. She, however, had only 2 vials left to last her until then. Its been 2 days and she had already used one of the vials so for the next 3 days until the new batch of serum was finished, she had to survive on the remaining one. Gaia, however, had the best control when it came to drawing out her hunger if she never tastes a drop of blood. After what happened during the enslavement by William, Gaia was never to be trusted with the taste of blood, for the consequences would be dire.

And no one knew that better than Thomas.

Thomas spent most of his time with Gaia unless he was ordered to be elsewhere. They trusted each other and understood each other far better than anyone else. He never questioned Gaia when she made decisions and he always put her above anything. He watched as she walked around the field training some of the members of the coven; fixing postures, correcting stances, giving advice on weapon usage, and training the witches on how to strengthen their attack spells in their combat spells. Usually training the witches was Delanys job but she was caught up helping Lucus fortify the wards surrounding their territory. It was Lucass magic that kept the wards up that hid them from the outside world and away from Williams prying eyes. Gaia was the strongest person Thomas knew and the only person he looked up to. Their bond ran deeper than just friendship; they made a vow that had their souls bounded by the Sun god. He never forgot the events leading up to them becoming mweya. The ding sounded and he watched as training was wrapped up before walking over and standing behind Gaia. When the field was empty without even having to say words out loud, he knew she was struggling inside. After phasing to the waterfall behind Valkyrion, they sat on the edge and watched as the water flowed from the top silently into the streams below.

(This scene contains a mixed dialogue with/without written indicators)

"You're thirsty. I can feel it", he said after a moment of silence.

"I'm fine. I can handle it. I'll take the other vial in 2 days since the new batch wont be ready for another 3 days", she sighed.

"You can act as if youre alright around others, but you know that doesn't work with me. You need to rest, or you'll burn yourself out", Gaia.

Thomas watched as she used her magic to bring large droplets of water away from the waterfall and levitate them around her head. He watched as some of the sprites grabbed the droplets and wrapped them between a leaf before taking them back to their homes in the trees. He smacked her hand and watched as the droplets fell back into the water, And no magic either.

"Thomas, you're treating me like a mortal which is highly insulting. A few days without food is not going to kill me or make me that weak."

"You drew more from me when you placed a ward up on your mates territory yesterday. You've been on the training grounds ever since we got back, and you havent had a serum in 2 days not to mention the blood moon is just around the corner. Do excuse me for being concerned. You may be queen and leader of this coven Gaia, but you are my mweya before any of that."

"You and I both know why you're so concerned. And you know I've gone longer without my serum."

"What are we going to do?"

"I've nothing to worry about as of this moment. The problem is your mate, and the wolves and the way they're going to take that kind of news", he lied with a straight face.

"And your mates Thomas? How do you think they're going to react to that?", Gaia asked without looking at him.

Thomas closed his eyes in defeat at the fact that he couldn't hide it from her. He knew it was only a matter of time before she found out, but he wanted to handle that after they finally killed William and definitely sort it out with his mates before she found out, "I knew you I couldnt hide it from you.", he chuckled.