Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Once Goon Leader left, Lilith was barely clinging to consciousness but she managed to slip her shoe off and palmed the GPS chip tracker. She finished the rest of her water, hoping to increase her fluids and stay awake a little longer.

Annie came back soon and quickly realised that Lilith was in trouble. She looked far healthier than Lilith did.

"Oh, hunny," she said, sitting down beside her.

"Annie… take this." She was panting as she handed the small tracker to her. "I don't think… I'm going to... last much longer… cells aren't getting... enough oxygen… when twilight comes… flip that tiny red switch… please. It's your only chance… to get out of here."

"Lilith-"

"No, do it, please."

"Why not press it now?"

"They can't come… 'til after dark… The others will sleep 'til then anyway… you'll be safe... Please, wait... 'til the sun is down… Please."

"I'll do it, but you aren't going to die."

"It's okay, Annie… I was ready for this... It's okay."

As her eyes closed, she couldn't stop tears from leaking out and trailing into her temples.

"Tell 'em I'm sorry... I'm so so sorry."

***

"How much longer?" Eve asked, pacing behind Adam as he worked.

"Hard to say. I'm good with computers but I'm not a hacker, Eve."

"It's been hours already. She could be-"

"Don't say it!"

"But it's true."

"I know!" Realising that he was getting angry again, he took a deep breath. "I know, but I need a clear head to get through this protection. We're not talking a first gen AltaVista Firewall here, we're talking quantum cryptography."

"I know, I know, I just…"

"Why don't you see how Ava's doing?"

Eve frowned. "Ava?"

"She's probably raiding our blood supply as we speak."

"It's daytime."

"When has that ever stopped her?"

"I haven't seen her since we discovered Lilith was missing."

Her worried tone made Adam turn to look at her. "Eve?"

"It's not like her."

"She doesn't care for Lilith, why would she help us?"

"She wouldn't, but she wouldn't miss the drama either."

"You think she…?"

"God, I hope not."

They found Ava in the living room, lying prone on the sofa and sleeping, while the TV blared in the background.

"Ava? Ava wake up!"

"Hey." The vampire wiped her eyes and smiled at Eve. "Did you find your friend?"

"You know we didn't," Eve said. "Now you're going to tell us everything you know, or I will have Adam throw you outside right now."

Ava looked to the windows. "But it's still light out!" Her smile vanished.

"I know."

"I didn't do anything!" Ava sat up, suddenly concerned. "What did she tell you?"

Any doubts Eve might have had over Ava's guilt vanished at that moment. "You either did something or you know something, I don't care which but I mean it, tell us everything now, or face the consequences."