Chapter Four

Music

Uno by Muse,

Is This the World We Created by Queen

Welcome To The Jungle by 2Cellos (originally by Guns 'n' Roses)

Never Tear Us Apart by Paloma Faith (originally by INXS)

The Power of Love by Gabrielle Aplin (originally by Frankie Goes To Hollywood)

Lay Down Your Arms by Anne Shelton

Chapter Four

A few days later, they headed to Riley's Place, a bohemian café bar in Edinburgh's old town. The owner, the Riley of the name, was a music lover and rather than playing the radio or CDs, allowed musicians, the type who would usually be busking before it was made illegal, to play for donations from the customers. In addition, three nights a week he had open mic nights, where music acts of all descriptions could come and play from seven pm until 1am. The bar stayed open until 4am though, but after 1 on open mic nights, it usually became an impromptu jamming session between the remaining musicians.

They got there early to ensure they got a table and that there was still space in the line up.

Lilith was wearing a little makeup this evening, just eyeliner to bring her eyes out and lipstick. Her outfit was simple, black jeans, a red shirt and a fitted burgundy leather jacket. Her jewellery was cheap, black bead bracelets and a simple necklace.

Eve never wore makeup because as well as being a very modern invention, it's almost impossible to apply without a mirror and vampires don't cast a reflection. She had allowed Lilith to apply a little mascara and tinted lip balm though, and Lilith had insisted that they both brush their hair. When Adam refused, Lilith began doing it for him, even giving him a dry trim.

Their hair didn't exactly cooperate with such efforts but Lilith did her best, declaring, "Well, at least it only looks like you two have been on a camping weekend, not living rough for a decade."

Most of the people present at Riley's were dressed casually and dreadlocks, tattoos and piercings weren't uncommon, although they weren't the norm.

The lighting was dim, except for the stage, although that wasn't exactly spotlit. There was a baby grand piano, a drum set, amps for the acts that needed them to plug into and numerous stands for sheet music and instruments stands.

Even in the company of two vampires, Lilith hadn't enjoyed the walk here, seeming uneasy for most of it but once inside, she relaxed. In fact as she split away from them and made her way over to the owner (Eve pointed him out to Adam), she seemed to be friendly with at least half of the people in her path.

"She's different," Adam said.

"She's among friends," Eve explained.

They went to the bar to purchase bottles of water; despite Adams distaste at having to buy water, they needed to blend in.

"What does she drink?" he asked Eve.

"A pot of camomile and mint tea."

"She doesn't drink alcohol?"

"Not in public. She doesn't like feeling out of control."

They ordered and took the drinks to a table, where they could see the stage. Lilith rejoined them a few minutes later, resting her guitar and violin cases against the wall before taking a seat.

"I put us down for three fifteen minute sets," she said, "but I don't mind if you take all three if you want."

"Oh, Adam doesn't play in public," Eve said.