Chapter Three

Chapter Three

"She's been having problems with the bridge," Eve said.

She and Adam were lying in bed and despite the soundproofing of the studio, they could hear every note Lilith played.

"It's a lovely song. Is it instrumental?"

"I doubt it, but she usually works with a lyricist who will write the words once she's finished."

"Her style seems familiar," Adam noted.

"It should be, she's written over a dozen number one songs, and god knows how many others."

"But she doesn't record them?" Adam frowned.

"No, she hates the spotlight."

Adam could understand her need to get her work out there, even if she couldn't perform it herself.

"What songs?" he asked.

"One for the Road, Everlasting, Boys Don't Dance, The Ballad of Adam and Eve." She grinned as she said that last one.

"I remember that," Adam frowned. "That was about us?"

Eve nodded. "She even wrote the lyrics to that one."

"I thought it was familiar, although it got so much wrong, I assumed I was just coincidence."

"We were her inspiration, but it was never intended to be biographical."

"She performs sometimes, you said, right?"

"She does. There are a couple of local clubs that have open mic nights."

"We should go, I want to see her perform."

"I'll set something up," Eve assured him.

They lapsed into silence again.

"She's trying to fit the song into the AABA format, but I think ABAB would work better. Although the melody is so haunting that it would fit the ABCD model. If she expands the verse, climb, chorus and coda, she could have a modern classic."

"You're right," Eve agreed. "You should go and tell her."

"I'm sure she doesn't want my interference."

"And I'm sure that if you don't spent time with her, she'll never see how wonderful you are."

"Why is this so important to you?" he asked, turning to her.

"I told you, because I-"

"And when I thought you two had a relationship, I might have believed that, but she's adamant you're nothing more than friends."

"Well, more like family, but not all relationships have to be sexual, Adam. You know that."

"Relationships with zombies usually are though. Other than someone else's familiar, I don't think you've had a zombie friend since I first funded James Blundell's research into blood transfusions, back in the Victorian era."

"Then maybe it's time for a change," Eve argued.

"I know you have some kind of plan here, Eve, and I will figure it out."

"I wish you wouldn't," she said seriously.

"Why?"

Eve didn't answer for a long time.

"All right, I chose her for you."

"For me!" he sounded surprised. "I don't understand."

"She's perfect for you, darling, I knew that from the moment I met her, but she wasn't ready then."