Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Adam sat behind the mixing desk as he watched Lilith in the studio, playing her piano. She was playing classical music tonight, mostly mournful tunes. It was nearly 5am, so there was about three hours until sunrise.

Eve had been upset about Ava; no matter how much of a fuck up Ava was, she was Eve’s family, but she understood why he had left her and they had talked things out.

He could guess the reason for Lilith’s subdued mood as well; humans were often so puritanical about multiple partners and now that Eve wasn’t sleeping with Ava at night, Lilith probably thought her burgeoning relationship with Adam was at and end.

It wasn’t over but he acknowledged that it probably was delayed.

Adam had been sent down here to bring Lilith upstairs though, Eve wanted them all to be together and although he didn’t think Lilith would like that idea, he went through into the studio.

She was playing Moonlight Sonata, one of his favourite piano compositions, so he stood beside the piano but didn’t disturb her. She only played the first movement, then she looked up at him.

“How’s Eve?”

“Okay,” he answered. “She’s missing you.”

“I’ll be up soon,” she promised.

Adam didn’t press her.

“I almost wish I’d brought Ava back,” he admitted.

“Really?”

“In so far as it seems to have upset things, yes. She would have gotten herself killed eventually though, it would have happened a dozen times already if not for Eve.”

“But knowing it’s inevitable wouldn’t make it any easier for Eve.”

“True.”

They lapsed into silence.

“I just want to finish the last two movements then I’ll be up, okay?”

“Can I listen?” he asked.

Lilith nodded and began to play once more. She was part way through the third movement when he heard a terrible scream, despite the soundproofing on the room.

He rushed upstairs and looking out through the front window, he saw Ava on the driveway, burning under the UV light. The halogen flood light wasn’t as powerful as sunlight but if she was under it for too long, it could kill her.

“Fuck!”

“I have to get her inside.” Eve said.

“I’ll go,” he said, not because he wanted Ava back, but because he knew Eve would go herself if he didn’t. He opened the front door and tried to see the best way to do this. There was no easy way though, no shade to be had.

Luckily, or unluckily, depending on your point of view, Ava was wearing opaque tights, long sleeves and was using the messenger bag he had given her to shield her face, so a lot of her body was at least a little protected.

He pulled his shirt up over his head.

“The fuck do you think you’re doing?” Lilith asked, appearing beside him.

“It’s Ava.”

She was still screaming and someone would call the police soon.

“I’ll get her,” Lilith insisted and pushed past him.

She wasn’t very quick but when exposed to UV light, Adam wouldn’t be very fast either, knowing from experience that the pain would rob him of his unnatural speed.